Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week end i waz ridin do the highway and my right hand got tired so i pulled the clutch to coast and my bike died, no problems on re-start it just died. i think its done this twice once before in city traffic light to light. opinions?

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
maybe your idle is set too low?

I know if I am reved up high and simply grab the clutch and let the throttle go it dies out. I noticed it happened more when I messed with the idle a little. I set it back to "stock" and it doesn't happen as much. but yeah, i think you "choke out" the engine if you will... the fuel to air ratio is too rich and you lose it. but i also may have no idea what I'm talking about....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I bet it's the idle. Do a search on the terms "adjust idle" and you'll see a few members had an issue with this when they saw their idles were around 1100 rpms. Stock specs are 1300 rpm's after auto-kickdown give or take 50 rpms. Check what yours is. Some people have raised theirs as high as 1500-1700 and reported the issue going away, but stock should be enough.

To adjust it there is a start shaped nut on the left side of your bike that is attached to a black cord.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ive had my right hand fall asleep and I let it coast with the clutch in and mine didnt fall below 1500rpm. Ive got my idle set a tad higher than that also

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have my idle set where i want it, I was just curious enough to ask, besides its only happened twice in about 15 months

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had to bring my bike in to the dealer cuz it was stalling whenever I pulled in the clutch and I didn't know what the problem was. they just set the idle to 1250 and voila (twas at 1000 before)... didn't even charge me for it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
what about the riding position? How could that be adjusted to fix a hand numbing problem? Not being a smart ass I just really don't know.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
if you are crapen up and ride a lot its not that ur out of shape or fat its just that u have a bad riding postion could be that ur control arnt right for ur hands (big hands or if u have small hands). All this is very important. Back when i raced mx had a bad setup and postion fixed it the i was able to ride a lot long. A hint if ur gloves are to tight or anything is really tight on ur wrist this will increase ur hand crap

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
For some reason I can't view page two to see what was said, but with regards to the position thing, you may find that if your arms are locked too straight, or your sitting too close up to the tank that your hands will numb extremely fast. On stock gearing this bike is at 7k rpm when going 80 mph on the interstate. Gear down and that will be even more buzzy. Another thing to evaluate is your legs and knees. A lot of riders sometimes just do whatever with this part of their position. But you've seen stomp grip, and you can even look at the stock engineering of the tank with the textured plastic on each side. That is designed to be grippy for you to press up against it with your thighs/knees. If you are holding on to the tank with your knees you'll find it takes a lot less effort of your upper body to maintain control of the bike.

Edit: Okay apparently my post is the first one of page 2. Odd.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Apparently he doesn't think it's his idle, he already said that. But I know how you could test it if you want. OP, how are you downshifting? Just pull in the clutch and kick it down a gear, or do you blip the throttle? If you just pull the clutch without adding throttle and you are stalling, then re-evaluate the idle (1300). If you are blipping your throttle, then something else is wrong.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My bike was doing the same thing, but my bike sounded very lean, and felt very lean. I got a power commander installed and used their settings, and it fixed it, no more dying when I let off throttle and pulled in the clutch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i agree with the idle deal

:werd:it is definitely the idle, my zx6r was doin the same thing especially on those rushful mornings where i didnt let it warm up just turn the idle up a bit and youll be fine. I know you may feel like you have your idle where you want but you may be causing your bike to have performance issues as well seeing as how its air fuel mixture isnt correct and it will definitely be messin with your gas mileage. As for the rider positioning thing your hands will become numb from locking out your arms and having your upper body to high up on your wrists. When riding ive found that if i keep my arms at a slight bend i can ride for long distances before my hands even start to tingle. But yes body positioning and your gear are definitely the big issues on your numb hands.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the hand numbing is because of where the seams in my gloves sit, namely from the center of the wrist across the pad of my thumb, restricting blood flow and causing my first to fingers to go numb, this doesn't happen all of the time, it was just particularly bad that morning.

as far as my down shifting i usually bump the clutch

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It's the idle setting no doubt about it. I messed with mine when I got the new bike figuring it was set too high. It kept stalling so I checked my maunal and sure enough it was way to low for the newly redesigned high revving 599cc engine I even thought I had an oil pressure isuse because the oil light would keep flashing but I thought that was what was shutting the engine down. Turns out it was just stalling out due to low idle rpm setting. Set it to 1300 +/-100 as best you can with the analogue tach and you'll be fine.

Habs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts