Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I came across a good deal on a old 86 Ninja 600R (GPZ600R). The guy I got it from had laid it down a few years back, got scared of riding, and let it sit. I picked it up this winter, did all the body work on it, and started in on the engine. The seller said it ran after he laid it down, and just needed to be cleaned up. No big deal, or so I thought. Im no n00b when it comes to engines, Ive worked on 2 stroke bikes and cars my whole life....but im beginning to realize that a street bike is a different creature alltogether.

First thing I did was a good carb cleaning, airbox cleaning, and a new set of plugs. No go. Took everything apart and cleaned them again. Still no go. Then I started breaking it down. All the plugs spark, and both coils fire. Ive got good compression, because a few drops of gas into each intake tube and the bike will start, rev up, and die. I assume since it runs that way, the problem has to be in my carbs. So I can cross off low compression, no spark, bad timing, and bad valve seats off my list. It has to be fuel related. So once more I took them all apart, and cleaned them a THIRD TIME!!! I put them back on, primed them, and tried starting it. Now it just backfires a little and then fouls the plugs. After about 5 seconds of cranking the plugs come out wet. The rubber diaphrams in the carbs are all still good, and everything moves well. I took the jets out and let them soak in carb cleaner. The thing that gets me is a while ago (among the multiple carb cleanings) I had it so it would spit and sputter like it was going to start, but now, after this last cleaning, i get nothing. When I try to bump start it, white smoke whisps out of the exhaust pipes.

Can anyone give me some sort of direction before I have to break down and bring it into a dealer?

Nate

p.s. hi, by the way ;)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.