Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it happened, got a nail in the tire and the bike shop said they dont fix them, it's not safe. Is this true? Also the nail is in the tread, does this make any difference? Help, thanks.
Jeremy

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
the guy who replaced mine said tires get soft at higher speeds cuz of the heat and plugs usually dont hold up well in those conditions. i would change it and not risk it, especially at high speeds[B)]

Member since 8/30/02. Forget what the post count says!

·
Registered
501 Posts
well, I have fixed a tire that caught a nail. The nail was not in the thread. The manual says that you could ride with a repaired tire but not to exceed 55-60 mph. This is meant in case it happens too far from home or close to a shop where you could get a new tire installed. I fixed mine with a plug type from Walmart and it is holding just fine after 1000 miles. I will be purchasing new tires around april

Let Saddam come and play!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The bike shop would rather sell you a tire. This is one of those ongoing debates like car oil vs bike oil and such.

Sometimes it is safe to repair a tire. If it is a nail type puncture in the tread area that is not visible once the object is removed you can safely repair the tire by patching it on the inside, no plugs. If you want this type repair you might end up having to do it yourself. I patch my tires and ride them as hard as unpatched tires. Tires I don't feel safe patching I throw away. In the end it is your ass, but don't let someone scare you with old wives tales.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I caught a small piece of broken glass right in the tread groove of my rear tire once... man that sucked. patched it with a broken toothpick and crazy glue [:eek:)] - kinda sad, but it was enough to get to the dealership and get some new rubber. They told me the same thing about not repairing punctures. I took their word for it... tires aren't somethin i wanna gamble with.

-------------

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know there are kits you can buy to patch tires with, but I have never used one. How hard is it to do, and would I have to take the tire off? Also, what is the rear tire size for my 99 6r? I'm an hour away from the bike at school... Anyone know a cheap place online, or what tire does everyone recommend?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
To patch a tire properly you must take it off the rim. You can buy patches at Walmart but I like to use patches designed for bicycles made by Rema, a German company. You can get them at bicycle shops.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
check out Rob lee's tire section in the FAQ section. he got the info from testing some magazine did. it test diffrent tires on a R6, i think. try www.mawonline.com, i saw some good prices or jsut head to a shop and ask for prices. i have a dunlop 208, paid $190 for tire, mount, and balance.

Member since 8/30/02. Forget what the post count says!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BAX-1003-PU BT010F 120/70ZR17 MCRS5021- 1 $79.33 $79.33
BAX-1052-PU BT010R 170/60ZR17 MCRS5035- 1 $98.82 $98.82
Ground (exclude Alaska & Hawaii) $28.15
Subtotal: $206.30

Not sure if that is the right front tire or not... This is from parts411.com. Good/bad???

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
JSomps6,

Your bike comes with a front tire of size 120/60, not 120/70. You can save a few bucks at swmototires.com, where shipping is free.

Consider searching the site before you post. Your questions have been answered many times before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.