Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pursebully
39,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PCIII is custom mapped to a micron high mount pipe. Because of foot room, I have ditched the high mount and gone with a standard mount. The can is the same, all I changed was the midpipe (shorter and fewer bends). I can't really tell if it's running different or not, I think I'm so worried about it that I've convinced myself it is. I'm concerned about my bike running leaner now because it can be very harmful to an engine. Is the change in midpipes significant enough to warrant paying another $300 to have it remapped or am I being overprotective? Does the bike have to be so lean that it has a noticeable effect on performance in order to be damaging? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
IMO - as long as the resistance hasnt changed ie , the midpipe has no baffles in and the can is the same then i would have thought no need to re-map.
Its amazing what we do do our bikes and then convince ourselves that something is different when in fact, not much if anything has changed.
If the bike is running lean you will know because the operating temp will increase higher than normal. If it hasnt then not much has changed.

If it were the manifolds you had changed then i would suggest at least get the air/fuel ratio checked as this could influence the fueling to a wider degree.

Nice looking bike, prefer the 03/04 to the softer edged 05/06.

·
Pursebully
39,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. The extra bends in the high mount pipe might cause a very slight increase in back pressure, but I would think it would be a negligible amount. Nothing else changed, but I wanted some more opinions. The engine was running a litte warmer the other day, but at the time I noticed it, I was riding in a construction zone (asphalt), behind a cage, and it was 95 degrees outside. If I remember right, it hit around 210 but dropped to 180 when I got moving again.

Thanks also for the compliment on my bike...I picked the 04 because I don't really care for the black belly pan or the "tank cover" or whatever that piece is. I also like the sharper tail section on the 03-04's.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,497 Posts
Originally posted by GreenRanger
Thanks for the input. The extra bends in the high mount pipe might cause a very slight increase in back pressure, but I would think it would be a negligible amount. Nothing else changed, but I wanted some more opinions. The engine was running a litte warmer the other day, but at the time I noticed it, I was riding in a construction zone (asphalt), behind a cage, and it was 95 degrees outside. If I remember right, it hit around 210 but dropped to 180 when I got moving again.

Thanks also for the compliment on my bike...I picked the 04 because I don't really care for the black belly pan or the "tank cover" or whatever that piece is. I also like the sharper tail section on the 03-04's.
I agree, 03/04 is better. hehehe...anyway, 210 down to 180 isn't "hot"...sounds pretty dead on normal. If anything, As for the change in backpressure...go to where you had the first tune done and have them do just a baseline run with O2...should be pretty cheap (a place by me will do a baseline run of a few passes for $20, free if you catch them at the right time and have a neat bike...remember you're just getting a reading, no tuning, so if they want too much, don't do it)...anyway, compare the WOT o2 readouts between your tuned chart with the highmount (thus why you go to the same place...they should keep it on file on their computer). That'll tell you for sure, and it won't cost you an assload.

But, IMO, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

·
Pursebully
39,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by dragknt

I agree, 03/04 is better. hehehe...anyway, 210 down to 180 isn't "hot"...sounds pretty dead on normal. If anything, As for the change in backpressure...go to where you had the first tune done and have them do just a baseline run with O2...should be pretty cheap (a place by me will do a baseline run of a few passes for $20, free if you catch them at the right time and have a neat bike...remember you're just getting a reading, no tuning, so if they want too much, don't do it)...anyway, compare the WOT o2 readouts between your tuned chart with the highmount (thus why you go to the same place...they should keep it on file on their computer). That'll tell you for sure, and it won't cost you an assload.

But, IMO, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Damn, why the hell didn't I think of that? These guys love to play with the dyno, especially if it's a tuned sportbike. Thanks a lot for the advice...I feel like an idiot...damn. The key to the comparison is obviously the O2 reading, and even if I had thought of putting it on the dyno again, I would have never made the O2 connection. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm worrying about nothing, it is such an insignificant change...it's not like I put a new high flow header on or anything.

As far as the temp goes, I know 210-215 isn't overheated by any means, but I don't ride in stop and go traffic much, so I seldom see temps over 190. Thanks again for the advice.

Taken the day before I switched mid pipes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.