Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this will be my first bike and i decided to start on a 250. found several used 08 and 09 ninja 250's in my area for around 3000. saw an ad the other day for a 2005 hyosung 250 (the naked one) for 1800. just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with hyosung and just what the difference between the 2 will be. im sure with this being a kawisaki forum which way u guys will suggest i go. i actually never heard of hyosung till the other day, so i just wanna see what the general opinion is of the company and that specific bike. thanks in advance for all your input.

·
Registered
467 Posts
get the ninja. don't go korean. no offense to those that ARE korean, but the ninja has been tried and true, and kawi is more a) heard of and porbably b) more reliable than hyosung. the price difference HAS to be more than just reputation, as im sure they skimped in parts somewhere or other... if price is really the deciding factor, purchase a used ninja 250.

good luck, ride safe, and welcome.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have no experience with a Hyosung, because I wouldn't waste my money on one.

I am very happy I bought my `09 Ninja 250.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
FYI. Hyosung has been making the SV-650 motors for a long freakin' time. They're a quality bike, with few real shortcomings

the Hyosung has great bang for the buck, but where it really falls short is resale value. with the Kawi you'll be able to make almost all your money back if not a small profit when you sell it. with the GT250 that aint gonna happen

·
Registered
123 Posts
I cant remember where i found it but i found a site before i bought my ninja 250 that compared 4 250cc bikes. Ninja was one the Hyosung was 1 and there were 2 others. Basically it said they were all around the same except they could tell that the hyosung didnt match the quailty of the other bikes. They said it was fun and comfortable. And i think it was the hyosung that couldnt finish the test it has a electrical short somewhere.

wish i could find that damn thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was gunna go with the ninja from the start. mainly cuz there isnt really any competition for 250cc sportbikes (but its also is one bad ass lookin bike). the hyosung was the first i saw that was same style and same size. but from what i can find, those are the only 2 choices available when it comes to 250cc sportbikes. am i wrong? or are there any more choices out there?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Before I bought my 250R I did all the research I could from several different websites and what not. During that time I ran across the following video on you tube that compared the two bikes you are asking about... ignore the quick commercial up front:

YouTube - MCN Roadtest: Kawasaki 250 R Ninja v Hyosung GT250R

As you can see they recommend the Ninja 250R over the Hyosung 250 and I for one can confirm another happy Ninja purchase! In the end it's your decision, good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im on board...the kawisaki is definitely what im gunna go with. now i just have to register for the msf course.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Good choice! A kid near me bought a Hyosung 650, had nothing but problems. It spent most of it's time in the shop, and eventually just grenaded the motor. It had less than 10k miles on it when it went.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hyosung is still new to the motorcycle production. The ninja has better quality but the hyosung has somethings the 250 should of had. I have always said if the hyosung and the ninja had a bastard child together it would be the perfect bike.

I'll buy a hyosung in the future but that won't be until the quality improves which will be about 5 years.

Get the Ninja.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think the fact that the 250 Ninja is Kawis #1 selling product and that they have been making it since something like 86 speaks volumes. The hyosung, arguably, caused Kawi to modify the Ninja in 08 so I give them props for that but I think your money is safer with the Kawi.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I dont really care for the Hyosung. Ive seen a few models in a dealership back home. They just look cheaply made to me. I wouldnt think you would be able to get that many aftermarket parts for it either if you decided to mod....

·
Registered
467 Posts
im on board...the kawisaki is definitely what im gunna go with. now i just have to register for the msf course.
smart man, welcome. ha.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Hyosung has been involved with a lot of the R&D and production of Suzuki parts for many years. If you look at their GT 650 R you'll see the frame and other build aspects are directly taken from the SV. However, as it has been mentioned, they have had some quality issues along the way, mainly with electrical components being faulty. Do some research before you buy, a quick google search will give you some idea of how the bikes compare.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts