Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sportbikes dont really use gear indicators much, they just add weight :)
You can get an aftermarket one for about $100 here in Canada/USA.

http://www.datatool.co.uk/newproducts.html
Click on Digi.

On the 95 your speedometer is cable driven isn't it? I dont think this will work for you because it is designed for electric speedo's, but there should be similar products out there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I dont know if the later model ninjas have a gear indicator but my 95 zx6r doesnt and it can be annoying when im cruising along and I try to shift up a gear only to find im already in sixth. Also is it possible to have an aftermarket one installed without breaking the bank?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I have a '96 Ninja, and all I do is look at my speedometer in relation to my tach to tell me what gear I'm in. It's hard to get used to, but after a while, all you do is glance down and you'll be able to tell what gear you're in. For instance, my bike has stock gearing, and when I'm in fifth gear, my tachometer and speedometer rise and fall exactly with each other. So if I'm in fifth, and my speedo is pointing directly West, so is my tach. If I'm in fifth and the speedo is pointing North (about 110 mph) my tach is also pointing North. In sixth gear, the tach drops a little bit behind the speedo.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'd say you don't need a gear indicator for your bike. Just get to know her well and listen to your engine as well. Get used to your bike and you'll be fine. I do agree with crazytrain as well, keep your eyes on the road, you never know what might happen, most accidents happen when someone is not paying attention on the road.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
duh, can you count to 6? now, can you count backwards from 6 to 1. Good thing there is not a reverse to confuse you. Bet that whole neutral thing threw a kink in things to didn't it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
These are good sugestions but sum of them are flawed. Yes you can check your rpm in relation to your speed and you will know what gear your in,. but that takes precious split seconds and as crazy train says "keep your eyes on the road". Sum times I can hear the rpm and know what gear im in but I still have to look at the speedo and thats assuming I can hear my stock exhaust over back ground noises like wind etc.
I'm not saying I cant ride without one it's just a nice feature that my previous bike had that comes in handy and adds to the enjoyment of riding.

P.S. Melloyello,I hope that day you will figure out an easier way of telling what gear your in than dropping it down to first and then counting back up again [:M40]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.