Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you use a small C-clamp with a 8mm socket it will do the pressing wonderfully.

The press kit for bikes is like $100.00cdn.

Jason

------

Everyone has their own thing.....

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I actually had the idea to use a small c-clamp, but haven't tried it yet. How does the socket come into play? Do you use it as a buffer to give you more room to tighten the clamp down?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I wouldn't use a clip style master link except in a emergency. I actually bought a DID chain tool ($140) and I am a tight bastard. You can do everything the tool does with some knowledge and the tools you have laying around.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactally, the recess in the socket lets the pin poke through.

The "clip style" master links usually slide on, those damn rivet links are the bastard.

Jason

------

Everyone has their own thing.....

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I asked around alot before going with the masterlink type chain, and I didn't hear anything negative about using one. If you install the clip backwards, it could fall out, but other than that, I don't see why you wouldn't use one. Better than taking off the damned swingarm every time you need a chain.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You don't need to take off the swing arm to change a chain. That is what the tool is for. I have talked to several guys who have lost clips to clip style master links and I don't talk to that many people. A couple of them where competent enough to get the clip on the right way.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I want to get ahold of a tool that presses masterlinks together. Everyone I've talked to says to use visegrips, but they don't work very well. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
202 Posts
USE the crimping tool,you just hve to take your time doing it. just get 2 clips incast U mess one up.dont take off the swingarm you use a die grinder and cut the old chain off(your not useing it anymore) TM

------

Thanks B.

·
Registered
418 Posts
You can use an angle grinder to remove the old chain but be sure to have the front sprocket nut loose before you remove the chain.

Only use a softlink, don't attempt to use a split pin as it will fail (no fun at 100mph when your back wheel locks up).

Clamp the softlink together on the chain with a needle nose vise wrench and make sure both ends make exactly the width of the other links in the chain (IIRC 20mm exactly in a 525/20 chain) Make sure you have greased the softlink internally with the grease provided and also that the o-ring/x-rings are in place.
You can peen a softlink with a largemetal block behind and a ball-peen hammer. be thorough and it will be ok, take care not to crush the link by going over the top as your doing this, as it will give you a tight spot in the chain.

Some of the soft links have a drilled dimple in the centre of the link pins to make splaying the pin end easier.

------

Ash

www.mcnninjas.co.uk The Best Ninja Owners Forum un the UK

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Originally posted by speedvlaze

I was going to recommend dj dunzie, but we aren't talking about that kind of tool, are we?:D

rofl...
HEY !!! :(

------

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Speedvlaze, that's just wrong man:D Sick bastard.

Ok fellas, I know that I don't have to take the swingarm off to get the old chain off. I used boltcutters on it and cut it in half. BUT, in order to install an ENDLESS CHAIN which is what comes on these bikes, you MUST take the swingarm off. I did not want to do this, so I purchased a masterlink chain.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by TommyV

Ok fellas, I know that I don't have to take the swingarm off to get the old chain off. I used boltcutters on it and cut it in half. BUT, in order to install an ENDLESS CHAIN which is what comes on these bikes, you MUST take the swingarm off. I did not want to do this, so I purchased a masterlink chain.
No, you don't!!! If you take the swingarm off to install the chain, give me your address so I can come over and laugh at you while you are doing it. Did you not read people's reponses? That is why they make a chain press and a chain breaker!!! Endless chain....please it's call a rivit type master link!!!!!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by the wizz

Originally posted by TommyV

No, you don't!!! If you take the swingarm off to install the chain, give me your address so I can come over and laugh at you while you are doing it. Did you not read people's reponses? That is why they make a chain press and a chain breaker!!! Endless chain....please it's call a rivit type master link!!!!!

You know how much one of those tools costs? Or how much a chain breaker is, which by the way, I looked for for two days at every auto parts store, tractor supply, and internet sites and the only one I found was one the local shop said they would order for me for about $50, NOT including the chain press tool. The master link chain was much cheaper too, and I've put over 300 miles of good riding on it with no problems so far. By the way, I'll take a picture of the page in my repair manual that TELLS YOU TO TAKE OFF THE SWINGARM FOR AN ENDLESS TYPE CHAIN. It also tells you NOT TO for a rivet type master link chain, so I guess you were half right;)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
So far, so good. If the clip comes off at speed it will usually destroy your engine case and lock the rear wheel. Not good.

You can buy a motorcycle specific tool to press on the side plate and rivet the master link for about $50. Anything from a Sawzall to a Dremel tool will get the chain off.

I bought a DID tool that will both break chain and rivet. It is a shop quality tool and even comes in a neat little box. Unfortunately it cost about $140.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by swjohnsey

So far, so good. If the clip comes off at speed it will usually destroy your engine case and lock the rear wheel. Not good.

So what you're saying is, if that 1/2 ounce clip comes off, it will come off at a high enough speed to penetrate the engine case, and the back wheel will lock up? How can the back wheel lock if the chain comes off? Unless the chain gets caught in the wheel itself, the back wheel will freespin without a chain on the sprocket. I'm starting to regret starting this thread.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The little clip doesn't do the damage. The damage is done by the flailing chain that usually ends up in a wad between the swing arm and the rear wheel.

Don't get paranoid. Lots of people use clip style master links. The rivet style are just stronger and safer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.