Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been almost two months since I got my ZX6-E. I put new brakes, tires, plugs and wires.I changed the oil and brought a Lockhart Tank Bra and Lockhart Kawasaki green grips. Removed the bar end weights,sanded them down and painted them to match the color of the frame. The bike is a 94 but it only has 5,000 miles on it. I also put a dark tint speed screen. Replaced the right middle and low fairing with new ones because they were badly cracked. Mine is the green, blue and white color scheme.
The previous owner put a bigger main jet in it. The bike is really fast out of the hole. I went ahead and put a K&N filter and I drilled
out both baffles. Now the bike hesitates in the lower RPMs and the fumes are very strong. It smells like it is running to rich. Should I try to raise the needles? Do a complete rejetting? Get a new exhuast and rejet? Or is there something that I should look into first? Looking forward to your great wisdom.

Joseph G Moreno

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
That is tuff. I bet you could talk to ten guys and get ten different answers. I don't have any first hand experience with that bike so what I say will just be general.

Bikes don't usually come from the factory running lean on the top end with stock exhaust. They do sometimes run lean in the midrange because of emission requirements. Yours probably doesn't suffer from that because of the year. People have the idea that putting in bigger main jet will give them more power. This is usually not the case. I would start by putting back in the stock main jets and air cleaner and see what happens.

You will not get much of a performance increase by changing exhaust. I doubt you can even find one unless it is off eBay. The bike will be worth more when you decide to sell it the closer to stock that it is.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Jgmsharps,
The key here is your statement about drilling out your baffles. Sorry if this brings a little chuckle, but I,ve seen this so many times. All you do is creat a rather unpleasant racket and make the bike run like crap. I'm not sure, but I think I made this popular mistake when I was a kid. I just wanted noise and more noise and didn't realize that exhaust systems are designed to perform in a certain way. Either plug the holes you've drilled or if you are really after a better sound, than spring for a good quality header. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Don't worry! Drilling out the baffles won't affect the way your bike runs. All it will do is make it louder. If loud suits you, fine. It is not what is causing you bike to run poorly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
swjohnsey,
All right swjohnsey, this is going too far. Now your racing around doing everything you can to counter every post I make. How childish can you get? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about and couldn't care less whether you’re misleading others in the process. Drilling holes in your baffles is a sure way to mess things up, whether you know it or not. The assumption here is that these holes are fairly large so as to make some noise; unfortunately, this tends to upset the performance of the exhaust system. Mufflers are not just empty tin cans. They represent some pretty sophisticated efforts to do what they do. They were designed, in most cases, with Dynos and other empirical testing. Anyone can simply jump in with a hand drill or a hole saw but the results are always going to be negative.
Obviously he may have additional problems, however, the drilling corresponded to the timing of the problem, but again your not interested in helping anyone, but only wanting to throw stones.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You might want to apply a little logic. If adding a slip-on/bolt-on can does not upset the mixture enough to require a rejet, what do you think drilling out the baffels does. Most after market can are straight through. This guy doesn't have a clue about what kind of bike you have and probably thinks you are talking about a 4into1.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with Dave Leonard on the drilling out the exhaust. I have read about people doing this before with bad results. Buy a new exhaust system and you still might have to jet the bike to get it right.

I bought a slip on for my bike and it did not run right until I installed a jet kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.