Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going to spend some time this weekend working on the bike and wanted some advice as to what I should tackle first. Bike is a 2005 ZZR600 with about 12K miles on it, regularly serviced and babied.

The symptoms:
- Last weekend went for a ride, got about 5 miles down the road and the bike started to act like it was out of gas (it was not). Engine died, would not throttle up past about 4000 rpm, ended up pushing my baby for miles. Just what I needed.
- Thought it might be the battery, its been a little bad of late, but after full charge the bike still will not throttle up.
- Starts fine, idles fine, warms up fine, lay on some gas, and at 4k rpm, it boggs up, drops revs and if I keep pushing it, it dies.
- Appears to me that it is not getting enough gas, or the gas is bad, which is possible since I have not been riding much of late and this gas is probably a couple of months old.
- Tank has about 1 gallon in it
- starts up right away and seems fine in all other areas.
- With the choke on it revs up nicely until about 6K for 10 seconds or so, then starts to bog down.
- what with work and all, I have probably done about 150 miles on her in the last three/four months.

Possible attacks:
- have checked the hoses etc to make sure compression and ram hoses are all connected, they are.
- GOing to check the air filter, fuel filter
- Not sure what to do about the gas. Not much in there, should I empty it or fill it and get new gas into the system?

Any other thoughts? I am praying it is not the carbs, cannot afford to have them rebuilt. Have changed the air filter before but never the fuel filter.

Your help is much appreciated, need my bike for sanity reasons and am mucho short on cash!

Carrot

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drained the fuel, seemed a little cloudy. Checked the fuel filter, looking in the fuel pump side it is black, which I assume is not good. Gonna replace that first thing in the AM, put in fresh fuel and see from there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
if the problem is that there was gas that gummed up the crabs, you could try and get some stuff called sea foam. it works pretty well if the problem isnt serious. just pour a half bottle in the tank and drive around a bit. it may not fix the problem but i bet its worth a shot

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, gonna try the seafoam as well. It really feels like there is not enough gas getting to the cylinder when I throttle up, and I do not know, but the fuel filter being black makes me think there is a good chance it is blocked by something.

Thanks guys, appreciate all the advice. I will post up when I have checked everything.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ran some seafoam through it, changed the fuel filter, and replaced the fuel, and that seems to have done it. Rev's well now, took it for a little ride, and all seems to be working. Going to go for a long one tomorrow just to make sure.

Was thinking I might put some seafoam in the gas as well, just to run some more through it (filled the tank with new gas this morning).

Still skeptical, but have to say that the seafoam seems to have really done the trick. Ran rough with it in for a while, lots of white smoke from exhaust, but once it was through all seems to be working properly.

THanks again guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts