Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a high mileage 05 636, it has 30k on it. Seller says it runs great with no issues, it looks to be in decent condition and the price is fair. My main concern is I have seen a lot of people complaining about transmission issues with this bike, mainly problems with 2nd gear. I'm definitely going to ask to test ride it, so what should I look out for? Will it be obvious if there is an issue? Like it just popping out of gear under acceleration? Any other advice would be helpful, I am aware of the ECU overheat issue and will relocate it or add a heat shield if it hasn't been done already. I will go over the many things to check when looking at any motorcycle, mainly just looking for issues to look out for on this specific bike. Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't know if i'm too late but, i think mainly look out for slipping transmission which is very evident as you can slowly roll up in rpm and bike will all the sudden just be in neutral or if you downshift into the bad gear it'll give you engine braking for a split second then neutral. The ecu can mostly be fixed from heat shielding the under tail and i moved mine next to the battery and haven't had any issues. Also a big thing is listen to hear if the cam chain tensioner is bad or not either gonna be a slapping if loose or a whining if too tight, bike i got the motor got trashed cause the guys got a manual tensioner and over tightened it destroying the cam chain guide littering the inside of the engine with plastic and metal bits destroying the crank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Already bought it. I took it for a quick test ride, haven't been able to ride it much, in the middle of winter where I live. I revved out second gear nearly to redline a few times and had no issues, previous owner said he's never had any tranny issues.

If there is cam tensioner noise it wasn't obvious, it sounds pretty smooth cold and hot. I have a mechanics stethoscope I will put near the cam tensioner and listen more closely. Is that a big job if it is too tight or too loose?

Is heat shielding under the exhaust in the tail not factory? It does have heat shielding.

Also when the bike is cold between say 2k-4k RPM it tends to sutter a bit, if you quickly rev it it like stumbles maybe misfires between 2-4k then revs fine above that, goes away completely once the bike has warmed up a bit. Not sure what that's about, only issue i've encountered so far. I would think it's some kind of ignition issue but not sure why it would go away when hot. Only engine mods I know of is slip on yoshi exhaust, previous owner did not put it on, so who knows if the bike is tuned for it, no power commander has been installed that I can find. I did pull the spark plugs, based on the plugs the bike does not seem to be running lean.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Congrats, sounds like the tranny is solid mine i had to split the case and swap the shift forks and gears.

Cam chain tensioner noise doesn't need a stethoscope will be audible by ear and if the bike has the stock cam chain tensioner then you don't have to mess with it since its self tensioning.

I think stock exhaust has a metal heat shield and i think the yoshimura exhaust comes with the heat shielding piece too but some people don't install it and cause issues. As long as theres something keeping the heat away from the under tail you should be fine.

Haven't heard of a stutter like that, maybe just needs a throttle body sync or one of the throttle body vacuum lines has a crack or is slightly off, or possibly just too lean since there is no tune. I also have the rs5 yoshi exhaust but took all emissions off, removed the cat and just found a used pc3 for 50 bucks and tossed a preset yoshimura full exhaust tune from dynojet haven't experienced a stutter with that but normally don't rev at all before 110-130 degrees.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sometimes false neutrals can be a transmission problem but sometimes they're simply the gear shift spring not being strong enough to hold the gear in place while you let out the clutch. If it starts happening, I'd try replacing the spring as it's easy to do and is rather in expensive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sometimes false neutrals can be a transmission problem but sometimes they're simply the gear shift spring not being strong enough to hold the gear in place while you let out the clutch. If it starts happening, I'd try replacing the spring as it's easy to do and is rather in expensive.
Wouldn't that also be some shift technique since you wouldn't be clicking it far enough? But when gears are bad its way different than false neutral you can be cruising and bike will fall into neutral after a while like mine I'd take off and go cruise halfway out of my neighborhood then it'd hit neutral, when I took shift forks out sure enough they were ground to crap. And so were dogs in the gear

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wouldn't that also be some shift technique since you wouldn't be clicking it far enough? But when gears are bad its way different than false neutral you can be cruising and bike will fall into neutral after a while like mine I'd take off and go cruise halfway out of my neighborhood then it'd hit neutral, when I took shift forks out sure enough they were ground to crap. And so were dogs in the gear
The two are related. The spring will affect the feel of the shifting. Going from a weak spring to a much stronger spring made it far more obvious that I'd completed the shift as it gave a nice satisfying click that wasn't there with the stock spring. $20 to get the spring was a lot of money, mostly for shipping, but well worth it for the improved experience.

And yes, if it's happening when you're not shifting, that's completely different. The gears in the transmission are typically undercut to prevent that from happening. Once engaged, the force of the gears on each other is supposed to help press them together due to the surfaces being at an angle to each other.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Managed to take it out for a 50 or so mile ride yesterday and yeah the transmission is fine, I revved out second many times and no hiccups at all. How common is that issue? I guess I got lucky or someone did the work already. The click of gears is very satisfying, much crisper than my 03 SV650, reminds me of my dirtbike weirdly enough. I think it has some heavy duty clutch springs in it or something the lever is quite firm, pulling it in with one finger like I can on my SV650 ain't happening with this thing.

Pretty happy, looking at it you can tell it has some miles, but riding it, I would believe it if someone told me this thing had 5k on it.

·
Powerhungry
37,604 Posts
Managed to take it out for a 50 or so mile ride yesterday and yeah the transmission is fine, I revved out second many times and no hiccups at all. How common is that issue? I guess I got lucky or someone did the work already. The click of gears is very satisfying, much crisper than my 03 SV650, reminds me of my dirtbike weirdly enough. I think it has some heavy duty clutch springs in it or something the lever is quite firm, pulling it in with one finger like I can on my SV650 ain't happening with this thing.

Pretty happy, looking at it you can tell it has some miles, but riding it, I would believe it if someone told me this thing had 5k on it.
can I ask what you ended up paying? and where do you live?

I am getting ready to sell my 05, it has about the same miles. im trying to decide what a fair price is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can I ask what you ended up paying? and where do you live?

I am getting ready to sell my 05, it has about the same miles. im trying to decide what a fair price is.
I bought it in upstate New York not far from me, near the Connecticut border. The guy originally had it up on Cycle Trader for $3000, it was there for a week or so then I saw it pop up on craigslist for $2500. It needed a chain and front brake pads so I talked him down to $2300. Which is quite cheap from what I have read, however I did buy it in the middle of winter right after Christmas when people tend to need money (not to sound like an opportunist it just worked out that way) and it's kind of slim pickens when it comes to buyers of used sport bikes around here. I would think you could get more for it in a more populated area than where I live, i'm kinda out in the boonies. Mechanically the bike seems perfect so far, however cosmetically not so much it looks like it has 30k on it. Nothing major but It's got scratches here and there, I doubt it was ever waxed and certainly could've been cleaned more often, some rust on the headers, windshield is pretty scratched up, a few alan bolts for the fairing are missing, stuff like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts