Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, im looking to start riding soon, and i want to get all my gear first. So i was looking for some advice on what i should get, i know that i need a helmet, gloves and a jacket.

I've looked at numerous sites for a helmet, but i just don't know what to look for, i need one that has good ventilation and is light weight. Right now im looking to get a scorpion exo 400 helmet, if anyone has any other suggestions or reviews on this helmet that would be cool.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
my 2¢ - don't buy a helmet off the internet. ever.

No one can tell you what helmet is the best, because a) everyone's needs are different, and more importantly; b) everyone's heads are different.

Go to as many bike stores as poss, set yourself a reasonable budget (remember, how much is your head worth? $99? don't blow a grand, but cheap is nasty), and try on as many lids as your ears will take, and get a shop assistant to help you check the fit.

I tried on a dozen different lids, and only a few really fit me well. I ended up with a Shoei XR1000 and couldn't be happier. I tried on a few Sharks too. One model I liked, didn't fit at all (chin stuck out! I don't have a big chin!), another model of Shark, fit pretty well, but I didn't like the graphics options. So go shop, and find something that fits well for you. I remember for most lids, I was a medium. Some were way too tight, so I got to an XL at one point. On the other had, the medium of one brand (can't remember), I could spin around while it was on my head. The XS was still too big..

As for gloves and jacket, you can buy those off the net, so shop around for the best price etc. A dropped glove or jacket doesn't break. A dropped lid can, and you won't know it until it's too late.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's not always the best idea to buy helmets over the net because fitmet can be difficult. However, if you have a local shop that you could try some on you can get an idea of what models fit your head the best.

After you know what's going to fit you the best, you can check out internet prices. I'd stay away from ebay and such. I've always had good luck with newenough.com

And remember, cheap is often bad. You don't have to get the most expensive helmet, but the $100 jobs usually suck. You get what you pay for up to a point. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im not really one to give advice as I started riding recently myself, but I will say I did buy the Scorpion exo 400 at our local shop because i found it the most comfortable. I also liked the fact that there was quite a bit of ventilation for the price of the helmet. I spent about 100 dollars because it was on sale and didn't really check online for the price. I also know that at my local dealer, the interchangeable visors that fit the EXO are the lowest price. Just my two cents, hope it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.