Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks...trying to get my '05 Z750S running again after storage for the off-season. When I took the battery out last Fall, I didn't pay attention to terminal configuration, figuring the capped side was positive and the uncapped was negative (although it's interesting that the cap is black rather than red). Come to find this spring, there's no way the positive (supposedly the capped side) could have been hooked to the positive (supposedly) side of my battery if the other terminal was also hooked to the negative side of the battery. I've looked at the picture in the manual that comes with the bike many, many times. Could the terminal boot (cap) just be on the negative terminal for me? The cables just aren't long enough to fit on that stock battery any other way (no matter which way I place the battery in the bike). The thing is, the boot is on the terminal with the inline fuse (at least I think that's what that plastic thing is) on it, so I would think it would be the positive cable.

I hooked the battery up, supposedly backwards, because that's the only way I can see that it would fit. I know that could be very harmful to the electrical system, but no other config. makes sense. The electricals seem to function fine that way...everything works, bike runs fine.

Can anyone tell me what's up with my bike? Is the manual messed? Anyone have access to a factory service manual with more info?

Please help

thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm looking at the parts diagrams available online at kawasaki.com. It looks like the terminal cable with the fuse attached to it actually is the negative terminal and I do have it hooked up correctly. I guess they've got the cap on the wrong terminal on my bike or the manual is just screwed up.

I'd still be grateful to someone who can confirm one way or another...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Negative leads go directly to ground, always. If you track the lead on either side, one will go to the frame, IT IS NEGATIVE. Kawasaki,s have never put a fusable link ( looks like a fuse ) in the negative line. However if you need to be sure trace both lines, the one that grounds, or bolts to anything sold is negative. The positive line goes to the starter sylinoid, ALWAYS.

·
Registered
382 Posts
One more note for you, anyone that owns a kawi can access online parts diagrams for free. Kawi rocks in this department. you need to log onto kawasaki.com and enter the "my kawasaki" site from the motorcycle page. Everything you need to know is free. I am a tech, and they are by far the greatest to deal with. Your entire Parts diagram is there for free, anytime you want. Part #'s and all. You cannot order online, but can look up anything you want in assembly detail. It does not give things such as assembly order, or tork specks, but it will definetly answer this type of question for future refrence. You will need to creat an account, including your vin, however the tech info is well worth it. You will never wonder if something is missing or in the right place again on a kawi, even on sunday when the dealers are all closed. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.