Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want a ninja 250r and the price is not really an issue. My main issue is convincing my mom to help me get one because im 16 and she said she would rather pay more for a car because she thinks that i will die if i get a motorcycle. What advice can you guys offer me to help convince her? thanks

· Registered
28,025 Posts
Take the MSF course, buy your gear and then buy the bike yourself. Parents aren't easy to convince as most will tell you. Mine didn't know I had one till they came down for my graduation.

· Registered
770 Posts
Find her some stats. the fact is that if you do all the proper training, gear, have awareness, etc. - it's not THAT dangerous. Of course it is going to be exponentially more so than in a car, however, the stats are what they are.

Also, if you are a complete moron, then i agree with your mom to not let you have a bike. But i don't know you. Just sayin :D

Welcome!

· Registered
5,288 Posts
Better to get a bike first. You learn a lot more and can apply it to a car later.

As posted, do theMSF course, then show your mom how well you did on it. If all else fails, see if she'll compromise on a smaller bike. A 125 is still good fun and will still teach you most of what you need to know to move up later.

If that seems far too small, remember that in many countries at 16 you're only allowed to ride a 50cc 'ped and that you've got plenty of time to ride bigger bikes.

Rob

· Registered
930 Posts
Take the MSF course, buy your gear and then buy the bike yourself. Parents aren't easy to convince as most will tell you. Mine didn't know I had one till they came down for my graduation.
^^ Do this and victory will be your's

If you get a job, save up for it and show her you are responsible by taking the safety course. She may believe that you are mature and serious enough about it to get one. And if she doesn't you can buy it yourself anyways :dunno:

If you are willing to put the effort in and do the above then you deserve your motorcycle, if you are just a silly kid who want's their mom to buy them a motorcycle then you don't deserve one...

· Strat - the Asian edition
12,887 Posts
imho you should go with the car first, learn the rules of the road, how ppl really drive in your area

then get a bike when you yourself can afford

but as stated above, those are the proper way of convincing parents otherwise
I'm actually with cranium here.

Most 16 year olds let alone non-drivers/riders aren't aware of how the road works.
I know if I had jumped on a motorcycle at 16, I probably would've killed myself, even with the MSF course, not because I was a speed demon; far from it.
I would've killed myself because I was not fully attentive of the road and also was not aware of the unwritten rules of the road and tips for safe driving.

That being said, if you do manage to convince your mom to buy you a bike, never forget that you are but an accident away from death.
Any accident has the potential to end your life, metaphorically and literally; it's a buzzkill but it's true.
There is no "safe" accident on a bike, even with gear.
Even with the lowside where you are sliding on the ground, you could get run over by a car if you slide into the oncoming lane, a tree, or any number of normal and common road objects.
Never forget that you are always a newb in that there is always something new to learn or improve upon. I've been riding the street for four years and I'm still learning new things and being reminded of old things. I learn from riders who've been riding longer than I've been alive and from new riders who have less than 100 miles.

Also, who's going to cover the damage to the bike when you invariably drop it or get it into an accident? Is your mother going to cover the deductible?

On a side note, what's with all these 15-16 year olds getting bikes?
I don't recall ever seeing any kids this young on the board, let alone several at the same time.
And, what's with all these kids' parents buying them bikes? Whatever happened to getting a job so you could buy this stuff :confused:

BTW I'm only 24 so I'm not that old.

· Registered
930 Posts
On a side note, what's with all these 15-16 year olds getting bikes?
I don't recall ever seeing any kids this young on the board, let alone several at the same time.
And, what's with all these kids' parents buying them bikes? Whatever happened to getting a job so you could buy this stuff :confused:

BTW I'm only 24 so I'm not that old.
I have noticed this as well, seems quite young to have a bike. I didn't know a single person all through my days at high school who had their own motorcycle. :dunno

And to the bold part, my parent's would have just laughed in my face for hours on end, made me sit there while they laughed at me if I asked them to buy me a motorcycle or a car, or really anything of any real value for that matter :lol

If I had a dime for everytime they told me if I want something "get a job then" I wouldn't have needed to get one :crackup

· Registered
195 Posts
you know what man im 18 and exactly the samething i would ask my mom everyday because i wanted her approvel. but im glad she did it you need to drive a car around for atleast another year to get a better feel for everything and get experience but in the mean time why not go take the safety course it will help you hold over thats what i did

bottom line im glad i listened to my mommy she know best :p

make her a deal tell her you wont say anything about it till your 17 or 18 and she will think you will forget about it thats when you strike hah

· Strat - the Asian edition
12,887 Posts
you know what man im 18 and exactly the samething i would ask my mom everyday because i wanted her approvel. but im glad she did it you need to drive a car around for atleast another year to get a better feel for everything and get experience but in the mean time why not go take the safety course it will help you hold over thats what i did

bottom line im glad i listened to my mommy she know best :p

make her a deal tell her you wont say anything about it till your 17 or 18 and she will think you will forget about it thats when you strike hah
^this

By starting on a car, at very worst, you have to wait a year or two before riding and get into an accident in a relatively safer car.

By starting on a bike, at very worst, you get into an accident and die, or, IMO, even worse, suffer a debilitating incurable injury.
Albeit, that is always a risk on a bike but your increased risk, due to an unfamiliarity with motorcycles, is further compounded by both your young age and unfamiliarity with the road.

· Registered
3,843 Posts
I wanted a motorcycle when I was 15...my mom laughed at me. So I waited til I was in college and didn't tell her until my big mouth sis-in-law let it slip...haha.

They were shocked at first, but they're fine with it now. They know how responsible I am and don't leave the house without gear.
-Cody

· Registered
228 Posts
I wanted a bike when I was 17. I had already ridden dirt bikes for 5 years and had been driving for a little over a year. I asked my mom to co-sign for the loan, but not to pay for anything. She said no and now that I look back at it, it was a good decision on her behalf. I have been in a couple accidents in cars, none where I was at fault, but there are two sides to all accidents.
Get a job; learn the road and how to drive. When you take your own time to take the MSF and save money and show your responsible then she may see that you’re ready. I didn’t purchase my bike until I was 19. It felt better that I did it all on my own and I even felt that I wasn’t ready when I was 17. You may feel you’re mature, but I think that any person can look back and think about all the dumb mistakes they made.
I know I’m rambling so I’ll end it with this...the truth is you may not ever be able to convince your mom to help you buy a bike, but you could get her to respect your decision once your able to purchase one on your own. Oh, you’ll need to be 18 if that’s the case.

· Registered
151 Posts
I was in the same boat as you before, noooothing i said or could have said would have changed their minds. And coming from an asian family doesnt help at all either, especially since i suck at cantonese and dont know how to say 50% of the things i want to. I even had my cousin come talk to them and still no good. But im 18 now and i bought my bike with my own money. They still dont want me to have it since they im going to die, but they cant nag me about anything since they didnt help me out one cent.
But seriously, dont rush things. Take your time and when you really think your ready go for it. I agree with the guy before me, if i had actually gotten a bike when i was 16 im sure i would have gotten in an accident. Experience helps, even if its on a car.

· Registered
3,603 Posts
if i had a bike when i was 16, i'd be dead.

· Registered
153 Posts
I really want a ninja 250r and the price is not really an issue. My main issue is convincing my mom to help me get one because im 16 and she said she would rather pay more for a car because she thinks that i will die if i get a motorcycle. What advice can you guys offer me to help convince her? thanks
Sup bro.

I'm your age too. When I told my parents I wanted a bike, they laughed at me and said I could NEVER own a bike until I move out of the house. Now, my parents are fully supportive of me getting one. Want to know what I did? I just kept at it. Kept telling them about all the advantages of having a bike, and of course the disadvantages. But every time I told them a disadvantage I would tell them a way of how that could be prevented. When you're in the car with her, point at motorcyclists on the road. Tell her you will ALWAYS wear your gear. Go ahead and start buying gloves and little things on websites to convince her more. Tell her you just want to go look at motorcycles at a local dealer. When she notices your emotions when you sit on one, there is no way she can't notice that. I told my mom to take a picture of me on one, and then I posted it on Facebook for everyone to see. Inform her about MSF. Most importantly, just keep sending subliminal messages that you really....REALLY want a bike. Goodluck OP.

· Registered
14 Posts
This is what worked for me. Suck it up and don't buy any vehicle for a year or two (I waited 3) save all that money you would have dumped into a car for bike, gear, MSF, license ect. Drive around your parent's cars, learn the road. Trust me, it takes a while to appreciate just how idiotic half of drivers are. That way when your 18 or 19 ask permission again if they say no buy it anyway. Or in my case don't ask permission but beg forgiveness :p.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.