Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up these two race tails and i want to fabricate some sort of brake lights into them.

Ive seen some ledlights that are flat(like the ones found on R1's), my question is can i just splice into my existing brakelight wire or do i need som sort of fuse, trigger, or special wires? heres another pic of whats someone else did.

However i want to mount them were the stock light should go. any feedback on the process before i start fabricating these light in the tail? sorry for the small pics, theyre are from someone else.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You could always get a handful of led's and spell STOP with them. Just wire whatever you choose right into your existing wires.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can i do that? how does led's work then? i though it was just brighter and fancier:D

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I don't know exactly how to explain led's. The are light emitting diodes. You can get 12vdc versions at Radio Shack. They have a few different sizes and colors. All you have to do is drill holes in the plastic, insert them, and attach with nut on backside. Just hook up the wires to your existing ones. Do a search. Someone up here put them in their passenger foot brackets for turn signals. Maybe you could get an idea from that.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
might do this using the light bars

·
Registered
363 Posts
You can get LEDs ALOT cheaper than that. All different kinds of arrangements. Let me know if you want some info I have a friend I ride with who has crazy LEDs all over his cruizer. He never spends more than a few bucks. He knows all these places to buy them that are not related to motorcycle aftermarket (bike stuff costs twice as much for the same thing)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Arturo3rd, dtmsurf is right... LEDs seem to have like an 800% mark-up when specified for motorcycle applications, component wise anyway... but you're actually paying for that tight little packaged unit they come in. They call it "supply and demand", also known as; Lets drain the consumers pocket for as much as possible!

Whatever you do just make sure that what you buy is for 12 volt dc applications like the ones at Radio Shack or automotive stores. (Because they'd already have all the necessary current limiting resistors in the set-up.) Otherwise you really need to know what you're doing.

It'd be no problem using the stock wiring leads but my only question would be; are you going to have running light tail-lights or just the brake light? ...Cuz you really need both.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i want it to still have the brake lights running(the light bars say they do that). ill head to radio shack and ask around for led lights. as long as i get the 12volt ones, do i need a diffrent fuse?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
goos site, however i am ileterate when it comes to choosing the right setup or bulbs. can someone do it for me?[:I]

·
Registered
934 Posts
Arturo3rd, I see now about those light bars... dual function brightness... missed that point the first time. Ya, those would work great in my opinion! (They are not that unreasonable considering their construction versus any other flush-mount on the market.) Do not worry about changing out the fuse.

Let us know what you come up with...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im getting those then. by any chance do you think i can add a integrator? i heard before they do not work well with LED. anyone with integrator and LED experience.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well has anyone intergrated turn signals into LED brake lights with no problems?

·
Registered
934 Posts
I haven't, but I do know that it shouldn't be a problem... I have seen an '02 with an integrator and LED brake bulbs workin' just fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.