Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am having a shifting problem with my 2001 zx6r it wont let me shift from neutral to 1st gear ? it sometimes lets me do this but while riding it wont let me no matter what i do any ideas on what might be the problem thank you this problem also comes and goes

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Is the shifter hard to operate or will it just not go and stay in first?

·
Registered
281 Posts
pretty much all the 98-02 6r I'v seen ran into this problem.
remove your rearset, remove the bolt holding the peg bracket and clean the shifter pivot. reasemble with a good greese. The shifter tend to jam on the bracket causing poor shifting, since it won't go back to normal position right away.

Hopefully it will solve your problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maximum rpm thank you for all your help i did this about before i read your post but what you said was the problem thank you so much for your help tho im glad all you guys took your time to help me with this and would anyone no where i can get some performance parts like a programmer or anything for the bike thanks allot

·
Registered
272 Posts
Your bike has carburetors-no "programmer" available.

You could buy a jet kit...Ivans, Factory Pro, Dyno Jet etc...

Ignition advancer-not the best money spent, but there is some gain

Change your gearing (chain and sprockets)

But the best performance improvement bang for your buck would be in getting the bike in the best state of tune you can...valve adjustment-TPs adjustment-clean air filter-carburetor synchronization-chain lubed, properly adjusted and running true...etc-

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
^ Larry knows all about this...lol
Ha ha, yeah I do. Thanks to my KF peoples I got mine fixed just before my track day. It took 36,000 miles to gum up on me though, which I won't allow to happen again.

OP's description was kinda throwing me off which is why I didn't volunteer the info on cleaning and re-greasing the shifter. His symptoms were a bit different than mine. Mine would go I to first, but not spring back, then click into second but again not click back, so I only had use of the first two gears. Lol. Happened kinda suddenly too, which was weird. Good thing it was a simple fix.

Glad you got it solved, man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys and thanks larry j for all your help and info on this and 07zzr i have dyno jets in it and the guys at the shop have looked at it lubed the change and what not new tires so i guess whats left it the gears thanks alot for your time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts