Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's how it started. I'll be riding my bike and after a while if I stop at a red light I will notice my neutral light flickering and then it goes out (not sure if this is part of the problem but I'll include it anyways) I'll stop somewhere and I go to start my bike and it has a problem starting like the battery is dead. So i changed the battery with a brand new one and the same problem occurs. So then I bought a new rectifier and a new stator and the problem still occurs. Any clue on what it could be.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
servo motor. buy a servobuddy

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
594 Posts
if it was an FI light i would agree. N light and no start i would not guess servo.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
um, what does the servobuddy have to do with the neutral light, or with it not starting?

thats not going to help anything.

ooh...good catch. my bad, OP (i kinda figured this was another jumper mod-esque thread). i guess i misread it.

neutral light? hmm....

·
Registered
23 Posts
When you try to start your bike, is the neutral light on?
You gear into neutral but the light doesn't come up?
When you press the ignition switch, does the bike do anything?Any noise or nothing?
If you are in neutral but no light, try holding the clutch while pressing the ignition switch.If eveything's ok you need a "neutral switch".

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you try to start your bike, is the neutral light on?
You gear into neutral but the light doesn't come up?
When you press the ignition switch, does the bike do anything?Any noise or nothing?
If you are in neutral but no light, try holding the clutch while pressing the ignition switch.If eveything's ok you need a "neutral switch".

The bike will be in neutral and when I go to start it the neutral light will go off, I tried to solve this by bypassing the neutral safety switch but that didnt work.

When trying to start it has trouble starting up like the battery is dead but I put a brand new battery, stator, and rectifier in and it still has troubles. Im thinking it has to do with the spark plugs but I changed them no more than 3000 miles ago.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
um, what does the servobuddy have to do with the neutral light, or with it not starting?

thats not going to help anything.

good thing I didnt order it yet

·
Registered
23 Posts
The bike will be in neutral and when I go to start it the neutral light will go off, I tried to solve this by bypassing the neutral safety switch but that didnt work.

When trying to start it has trouble starting up like the battery is dead but I put a brand new battery, stator, and rectifier in and it still has troubles. Im thinking it has to do with the spark plugs but I changed them no more than 3000 miles ago.
The light comes up and goes off?
How did you buypass the switch?Holding the clutch?
Trouble starting means that it tries to start but can't or nothing happens?.Does anything turn when you push the ignition or nothing at all?
The engine turns?
The more detail you explain, the easier it will be for anyone to give you an opinion or solve your problem.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did the by pass where it thinks the clutch is pulled in when its really not. You know where you cut the wires and connect them together.

When I have the bike in neutral and go to push the ignition the neutral light goes off as soon as I push it. The bike tries to turn over but it acts like there is a dead battery which I know its not dead bc I put a brand new one in. Im pretty good at solving problems on my bikes but this situation has got me stumped.

Do you think it could be the spark plugs? The ones that are in their now are fairly new.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The part that the neutral light goes off is very strange.Tommorow i will tell you if the same happens when i press the ignition button.Maybe it's not a problem,maybe it goes off and on again.
So it tries to turn over.Maybe there is something wrong with the starter motor. Maybe it needs maintenance.The engine should turn for as long as you press the ignition switch.If it tries and stops, i think something related to the starter motor should be the problem.Or the wiring to it...
Is it difficult to try a rolling start?

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
I would've said the regulator/rectifier but you seem to have checked that.

I don't know if your bike has the old style R/R or the newer MOSFET type. If it was the older style, I'd check the wiring as well, specifically the connectors to the R/R. I've seen images where the connector was just baked along with the R/R and even if the wiring was fine, it didn't look healthy at all.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Let me get this straight...

Your bike is in neutral, but when you try to start it, the light goes off?
Indicating your bike is in gear..(atleast what it thinks)
So then it will not start.

Since you cannot start your bike in gear, your bike for some reason is thinking it is in gear and won't start. I was going to say your GI sensor is bad, but I don't think your have one of those on an 05/06.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is it difficult to try a rolling start?
No i can roll start it easily, Ive had to end up doing this to get the bike started so I wouldnt be stuck

Since you cannot start your bike in gear, your bike for some reason is thinking it is in gear and won't start. I was going to say your GI sensor is bad, but I don't think your have one of those on an 05/06.
Yeah the neutral light will go off like I am in gear. I did the little mod where you can start the bike in any gear but it still has trouble starting.

·
Registered
23 Posts

That's why he did a bypass with the clutch switch.So gear or not doesn't matter.Also, if this was the problem,the ignition would be completely dead and wouldn't try to turn the engine at all.

@(((Paulie)))
Since after a roling start everything works fine, i would suggest you check your starter motor.About the wiring that other people state, check that also.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@(((Paulie)))
Since after a roling start everything works fine, i would suggest you check your starter motor.About the wiring that other people state, check that also.
Ok I will, I'll give you an update when Im done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts