Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I plan on doing some long distance rides/geocaching before summer is over so I'm in the market for a gps system. I have never owned one and was wondering which models you guys use and what their pros/cons are. I've done a couple of searches and it seems that the Garmin Nuvii 255WT is a popular choice and has an easy set up with some ram mount parts. I was leaning toward this one but was wanting to hear some other input on this model and others. I know it's not water-resistant, but other than that it seems pretty solid.

I guess what I'm looking for is something with:

Decent battery life
Water resistant (if possible)
Easy to see and use (gauntlet friendly haha)
Less than $200

Any input you guys have is much appreciated. Feel free to include any special features I should look out for/must have. Like I said, I'm a complete noob when it comes to GPS systems lol

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Garmin GPS. Battery doesn't have to be a concern since you can wire the GPS to your battery.

Whichever model you choose make sure you can enter GPS location coordinates.

You should also look for a model that includes lifetime map updates for free.

Keep an eye on websites like www.dealnews.com for great deals on GPS units.

BTW Ram Mounts are awesome! You can also place the GPS unit in a tank bag with a see thur top window.

There are GPS units made for motorcyclists but they are very expensive. Like the Garmin Zumo line.

:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Where can you get a ram mount?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks newbie. That dealnews site is actually pretty sweet!

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Thanks newbie. That dealnews site is actually pretty sweet!
Yeah it is! I use it all the time, plus you can setup an email notification when a deal comes up for a GPS. That way you won't miss a good deal.

:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you have a smart phone? The android market has a free app called "My Tracks" that works well for this kind of stuff. Also been known to help get people out of tickets as well (*hint*hint*)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use a Garmin Nuvi 500, it is very similar to the 255 except that it is made for more rugged outdoor use and is completely waterproof so the screen is much stronger and not as prone to pealing when used outside or in the rain. I use a ram mount with it and it is rock solid. You can usually find them for around $250 to $280 so it is a little more than the $200 you were looking to spend but may be worth is just for the added durability.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a smart phone? The android market has a free app called "My Tracks" that works well for this kind of stuff. Also been known to help get people out of tickets as well (*hint*hint*)
lol I wish I did, it would make it a lot simpler, but unfortunately I don't. The data plans are what kill me lol

I use a Garmin Nuvi 500, it is very similar to the 255 except that it is made for more rugged outdoor use and is completely waterproof so the screen is much stronger and not as prone to pealing when used outside or in the rain. I use a ram mount with it and it is rock solid. You can usually find them for around $250 to $280 so it is a little more than the $200 you were looking to spend but may be worth is just for the added durability.
I like the look of that set up. Is the screen easy to see in the daytime and can you plug in coordinates? I don't mind paying a bit extra if it's worth it.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I'm poor so I bought a garmin quest for 65 bucks used. the only problem with it is it has limited memory so you don't have ALL the maps at once, you have to put what you need, so I have mine for around where I live. According to my reference which made me buy it, the battery life is around 18+ hrs. it's waterproof and as well but it isn't touch screen and is operated via buttons; imo which is better since you'd have gloves on.

You can probably get a garmin quest 2 for around the same price, the difference is you can put external memory on it to hold more maps, but that model loads routes slower.

·
Registered
64 Posts
lol I wish I did, it would make it a lot simpler, but unfortunately I don't. The data plans are what kill me lol

I like the look of that set up. Is the screen easy to see in the daytime and can you plug in coordinates? I don't mind paying a bit extra if it's worth it.

I haven't had any real problems seeing the screen in daylight, just need to make sure the mount is adjusted right to control any glare. It does let you direct enter coordinates and even has a geocaching mode on it. The other thing I like is it is designed to be used outdoors and so can switch from a driving mode that keeps you on roads to walking mode that is good for hiking and geocaching. Theres also bicycle and scootering modes and you can set custom setting for the different modes. Like driving mode I use for normal commuting on my bike using highways, toll roads, etc. but I set one of the other modes for cruising that will not take highways or toll roads and keep me on back roads. It also allows programing rides with multiple waypoints for custom routing.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't had any real problems seeing the screen in daylight, just need to make sure the mount is adjusted right to control any glare. It does let you direct enter coordinates and even has a geocaching mode on it. The other thing I like is it is designed to be used outdoors and so can switch from a driving mode that keeps you on roads to walking mode that is good for hiking and geocaching. Theres also bicycle and scootering modes and you can set custom setting for the different modes. Like driving mode I use for normal commuting on my bike using highways, toll roads, etc. but I set one of the other modes for cruising that will not take highways or toll roads and keep me on back roads. It also allows programing rides with multiple waypoints for custom routing.
Wow, that sounds like exactly what I am looking for! Thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking, which ram mount parts did you use for your set up?

·
Powerhungry
38,189 Posts
ive ordered from both, and gpscity was actually cheaper than RAMmount. and theyre in the same state as me. retarded. but price them both first.

also, just about any gps will do what you need. and with the mount, and a power supply, you should be good to go.

ive got a magellan 4040, and a RAM mount, and have a 12v socket wired on the bike. its nice, as i can use it for other things too. ive got a thread somewhere on here when i did it.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I suggest you get a cheap GPS that does what you want. Get your feet wet with a cheap one and then upgrade later when you know exactly what you want and need from your GPS.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
fuuuuUuuuuuU you guys spent too much money on unnessary stuff!

for a cheap mount i got some duct tape and safety wire

Simply put, i used a suction style gps mount (tom tom xl) and used its suction cup and poped it on my tank

I took out a bolt from the gas tank lid rim, saftey wired it / put it back: made a loop to brace the mount with the bolt to catch it if it fell from the suction cup

Next i duct taped my gps to my gps mount so it wouldnt pop out. I suctioned my gps to my tank and rode 5 hours in a row no problems.

I charged my gps over night and at the motel for the way back. charges last about 4-5 hours on full, i only turned it on if i was reaching a ramp etc.

Use a plastic bag or cling rap to make your gps water resistant!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
fuuuuUuuuuuU you guys spent too much money on unnessary stuff!

for a cheap mount i got some duct tape and safety wire

Simply put, i used a suction style gps mount (tom tom xl) and used its suction cup and poped it on my tank

I took out a bolt from the gas tank lid rim, saftey wired it / put it back: made a loop to brace the mount with the bolt to catch it if it fell from the suction cup

Next i duct taped my gps to my gps mount so it wouldnt pop out. I suctioned my gps to my tank and rode 5 hours in a row no problems.

I charged my gps over night and at the motel for the way back. charges last about 4-5 hours on full, i only turned it on if i was reaching a ramp etc.

Use a plastic bag or cling rap to make your gps water resistant!
lol all I could think of was...

Although that is definitely a cheaper option, I plan on using it quite a bit and don't mind spending some extra cash for a set up that doesn't involve duct tape ;):D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts