Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some searching for different tooth sprockets for acceleration. but still not sure what to go for.

-1 on front? +1, +2, +3 on the back? or front and back together? people seem to have all different size's. What do other people have on their B1H?

Will i still be using a 520 chain if changing the sprocket size?

Thanx,

Paul. :Bike:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can i choose any sprocket with 42 tooth? because when i searched on a website they they want your bike details it only brings up 40 tooth sprockets. if i type in zx10r it's 41 tooth. where can i get 42 tooth sprockets and what bikes are they mainly designed for? motorcross or something?

i'm interested in the Supersprox Stealth Rear Sprocket. but dont know if it comes in a 42.
is it ok to mix brands? renthal front, supersprox rear?

thanx!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
i have a supersprox +2 and love it... stock front. go to the supersprox website and select your bike, there should be the option to get it in different sizes. granted i have a zx6rr but still

·
Registered
274 Posts
the most popular is -1, +2. dont go too drastic though. I made the mistake of going by what someone said on another forum when i ordered mine, i suppose it was too much to put the Dos-X down and walk to the garage. (lesson learned) long story short i ended up going down 2 in the front and up 3 in the back. waaaaaay toooooooooo much. however........... the wheelie factor now is fun as hell!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
+2 in the rear and it feels great can still drive on the highway without feeling like its winding out.

Reactions: pmk_travel

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx alot, you all was very helpful!! rep's all round :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you want to go cheap(er) I picked up a 43T sprocket from an 05/06 zx6r and then went 14T in the front, I don't mind it, but you may need a longer chain (still a 520, just need 110 links instead of 108). -1 was good by itself though.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
yes, with a +2 setup, its a substantial difference, but not too much it think it is perfect. but you will need to buy a longer chain, as well as a speedohealer or spedodrd

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
go -1 +2 its the optimum gearing for most zx6r riders. also you can still run this gearing with the factory size chain which is a 520 with 108 links.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i never got a speedohealer i have no idea how off my speed is no i should def ride next to a car and see so i know for reference.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok.. so i found the chain and sprockets i want, but the rear sprocket is 525 pitch were as the chain and front sprocket is 520. Will this matter?

Afam 520 Pitch -7 XSR Super Heavy Duty 'X' Ring Chain

RENTHAL ULTRALITE FRONT SPROCKET 14T 520 conversion.

RENTHAL ULTRALITE REAR SPROCKET 42T 525 pitch

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks for starting this thread Paul! Im on the same boat but I need sprocket and chain info for a 2005 ZX6R.
I've found some good info about pitch, chain and sprocket need to match.

I found this useful info on a webpage!

What’s the difference between 520, 525 and 530?

Pitch can be characterized by the thickness and weight of a chain. The first digit (5) indicates the center-to-center distance between chain pins. The second and third digits (20, 25, 30) indicate the chain’s width, measured between the inboard surfaces of the inner sideplates.

Because wider chains are typically stronger, the second and third digits also indicate a chain’s strength. Higher numbers correspond to greater strength, i.e. a 525 chain is stronger than a 520. This additional strength is achieved through increased roller diameter, pin diameter, pin length and plate thickness.

Will take the most weight off of your bike and will increase horsepower, however it is important to note that by decreasing pitch, you can expect faster wear especially on bigger bikes because the drive forces are getting spread over a slightly smaller surface area.

Middle of the road, standard chain that comes standard on most 600 and 750cc models. 525 is more durable, but heavier than a 520 conversion.

The heaviest, thickest and most durable chain pitch. Comes OEM on most 900- 1400cc models.
Don’t Forget! A worn or poorly maintained chain will wear an aluminum sprocket prematurely!

so i'm gonna have to look for a 520 rear sprocket to match the chain and front sprocket.

Hope this helps you too!:)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
make sure it is a steel sprocket, cause aluminum sucks. the supersprox is supposed to get you the best of both worlds, but i just think it looks cool. and yes, with a +2 you will def need a new chain, i tried it lol. and i found that the speedo was approximately 9% off with the speedodrd conversion chart, with the speedodrd, it is now dead on. highly recommended

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
make sure it is a steel sprocket, cause aluminum sucks. the supersprox is supposed to get you the best of both worlds, but i just think it looks cool. and yes, with a +2 you will def need a new chain, i tried it lol. and i found that the speedo was approximately 9% off with the speedodrd conversion chart, with the speedodrd, it is now dead on. highly recommended
when you saying new chain, it's still a 520pitch with 108 links right?
Most people are saying i can use the same spec chain for -1/+2 conversion.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so are Renthal Hard Anodised Alloy Sprocket not any good then? because they are aluminium.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
yeah, i have heard that especially those are garbage... they start disintegrating at 7k miles. if your buying the -1+2 you should be fine with the same length chain, but if you go only +2 you will need a new chain. i dont remember how long, i think i got a 118 and cut it down to the length. a speedo corrector is a must tho, otherwise your speedo will read 10-15 mph off and you will put more miles on your odometer

1 - 20 of 24 Posts