Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay really brief history, I got my bike about two months ago. 2005 Kawasaki zx6r. Very good condition. I didn't ride it much until I was able to bring it up to my new house about 3 weeks ago, maybe 4. I need to take it into a shop just to give it a tune up, bc I never got to when I purchased it (clean chain, fluids, check it over, etc).

Anyway, I went out on the bike about a week ago, and it felt a little funny. I thought I was having an off day. I went out again two nights and, and then last night, and it still feels wrong. The best way to describe it is that at lower speeds it's difficult to balance. It feels kind of wobbly, turning and cornering feels unstable and it feels like the tires are almost going to slip out from under it.

I thought maybe I had a flat, but the tires are at 33.5psi front, 35psi rear, which is within the normal range (cold pressure).

I only noticed this after I accidentally dropped my bike (
) about 1.5 weeks ago. I have a very narrow, steep declining driveway. I had to get by my roommates cars, and the bike went onto the grass to the left. No biggie. But when I tried to get it back onto the driveway, I didn't realize there was like a 2" lip/height difference. I went to push it up, it didnt go, leaned back to the left as I was pushing to the right .. tip. It landed on grass, the left frame slider and left handlebar. I don't think anything else hit, and I didn't see any damage.

That's all I know, but I know it isn't riding like it was before. I really have no idea what it might be, where/how to look, or anything because I'm new to bikes.

I'm going to try to find a local shop to check it out and give it a general lookover, but I wanted to see if I could pinpoint what was wrong beforehand. I don't feel comfortable going on the bike right now b/c of this problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
check to see if you knocked the handle bar out of spec turn the handle bar all the way to the right and look at it in relation to the frame then all the way to the left and see if there is any difference in position if there is loosen and push it back where it needs to be

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
check to see if you knocked the handle bar out of spec turn the handle bar all the way to the right and look at it in relation to the frame then all the way to the left and see if there is any difference in position if there is loosen and push it back where it needs to be
When you say look at it in relation to the frame, how will I be able to tell if they're out of alignment if it isn't something very drastic/obvious? Sorry, new to bike problems

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would swap your tire pressures, run more pressure in the front wheel, less in the rear IE 35 front 33 rear.

Other than that, I would take it to a suspension pro and get their opinion after they bounce on it a little and maybe get your sag set.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would swap your tire pressures, run more pressure in the front wheel, less in the rear IE 35 front 33 rear.

Other than that, I would take it to a suspension pro and get their opinion after they bounce on it a little and maybe get your sag set.
Okay I'll try changing the tire pressures. I have to try to find a local shop, I dont know of any yet. Google isn't helping much either

·
Registered
78 Posts
if your looking at the bar ends even if it was knocked out by a degree or two the amount of distance will be noticeable

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
so let me get this straight... you can't clean a chain or change your oil, but you "think" something is wrong w/ the suspension?? :headscratch:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so let me get this straight... you can't clean a chain or change your oil, but you "think" something is wrong w/ the suspension?? :headscratch:
I can do both, I just havent yet. I only got it up here a few weeks ago, it was at my families house in the garage while I was moving for the first month +. I haven't had a chance with work to change anything, and haven't had enough to ride it for that to be a problem. basically, work sucks. I've been told the rear brake needs changing, and I havent looked into what that will require. I have very very limited tools

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
check to see if your clip on shifted. i dropped mine and it was doing the same thing, turned out the clip on had turned in a half inch or so and totally fucked the way the bike handled. theres a hole(bung) in your upper triple tree clamp that the hole on the clip on should line up with to make sure it's straight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
check to see if your clip on shifted. i dropped mine and it was doing the same thing, turned out the clip on had turned in a half inch or so and totally fucked the way the bike handled. theres a hole(bung) in your upper triple tree clamp that the hole on the clip on should line up with to make sure it's straight.
Cool I'll check this as soon as I get home from work. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
I can do both, I just havent yet. I only got it up here a few weeks ago, it was at my families house in the garage while I was moving for the first month +. I haven't had a chance with work to change anything, and haven't had enough to ride it for that to be a problem. basically, work sucks. I've been told the rear brake needs changing, and I havent looked into what that will require. I have very very limited tools
suspension adjustment is pretty technical, just an fyi, your going to need the spanner wrenches, a 10mm i believe & a flat head screw driver & a few hours of time, go to sportrider.com & get the settings they use for a baseline & tweak them from there

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry to bring up this old thread, but i havnt got enough posts to start a new one.

I have the same problem as was described in this thread

" turning and cornering feels unstable and it feels like the tires are almost going to slip out from under it."

I have asked around and people reckon that my rear tyre is squared off or that there is a problem with the rear suspension. Im getting a new rear in 2 days, so hopfully that should fix the problem.
Does anyone else on here know what it could be ? or do these two options seem most likely.
Its an 06 ZX6r.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You can also run into this if the forks are twisted in the triples (ie..bars straight, front wheel slightly crooked). To fix that, loosen the triples up, turn the bars side to side while holding the front wheel between your legs. They will settle back to being straight. You may have to do it a few times with test rides inbetween to get it right.

But, based on your description of the problem, I would vote tires as well. Be careful when you get your new tires. It will probably turn in MUCH easier with new tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts