Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this probably should not be posted here but I can't post anywhere else yet and I need help bad.

My wife thought she would be nice and change my spark plugs for me.
When I got home from work I jumped on the bike to take it for spin. Well the bike wouldn't start. When I hit the starter it just clicks, all the lights and cluster go out, clock resets, alarm chirps, as if the battery is dead.
I figured maybe she just left the key on and put it on the charger over night

Got up this morning and it is doing the same thing

Now here is where it gets bad.

What she failed to tell me until I came in the house upset the bike wouldn't start is that she might have dropped something IN the motor.

Apparently while pulling the old plugs they would not come out with the socket so she used a flexible wire with a magnet on the end. OK no problem I have done that a million times.
At some point she "lost" the tip of the magnet. It is about 1/2" long thin aluminum stick with the small round magnet on the end. She doesn't know where is went. She said she checked all the spark plug holes used another magnet to feel around and even used my digital inspection scope to look way down in side them. She could see all the way to the threads and saw nothing. So she just figured it fell in the garage somewhere and proceeded to put the new plugs in.

Do you think it may have gone so far in the hole she couldn't see it? If it is in there, now that I hit the starter a few times am I totally screwed?

Even if it is in there sitting on the piston I don't think it would cause it to dim the lights, gauges, and reset the clock. It's acting like the battery is dead but it's showing over 12v on the cluster and when I hook a charger to it it shows 95%

If it is in there sitting on the piston keeping it from making a moving I don't think it would act like this.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Yeah you're screwed. :eek:

You need to take the spark plugs out and check everythnig over yourself.

Oh and tell her never to do that again!! :mad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really don't think it is in there she even took snap shot while scoping the plug holes.

It really acts like it the battery or something. I don't see how something in the cylinder would cause the lights and gauges to dim like that.

The only reason we haven't ruled that out completely is the fact the magnet is still MIA.

I have done most of my own repairs over the year but I don't do motors. I'll swap full motors, know more about suspension and rebuilding it then most guys, any type of bolt on but the farthest I have done motor wise is replace case covers, stators, and clutch plates.
So I am at a loos of what to do next.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah right, blame it on the wife:rolleyes:
No need to be a dick about it

She actually know more then most guys.
She runs a tight pit during races.
Everyone makes mistakes.

I am just looking for some insite from someone who knows a bit more about motors to verify if the symptoms fit that something may be in the cylinder

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
^yeah
definitely sarcasm

Take it easy. A lot of humor and undercurrents in language get lost in the written word.

We've got a few mechanics on the board. They'll be able to help you once they stumble on the thread.

Good luck OP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:rolleyes: = sarcasm.
nothing in the cylinder, electrical problem. Check for loose battery terminal connection.
OK Just little irked right now and as BB said sometimes stuff is misinterpreted on-line
My wife is freaking out thinking she totally f*ed up the bike.

I don't think there is anything in the cylinder but I can't rule it out either with the piece still MIA and it's magnet so it could be stuck to a number of things
^yeah
definitely sarcasm

Take it easy. A lot of humor and undercurrents in language get lost in the written word.

We've got a few mechanics on the board. They'll be able to help you once they stumble on the thread.

Good luck OP
Point taken. I probably just projected my mood in to what I read

·
Registered
835 Posts
Sorry my man, didn't mean to piss ya off. I can understand you're a bit frustrated and want sensible answer's for you're issue's.
Could ya have a rectifier problem, magnet stuck behind/between starter motor & engine case causing an irregular magnetic field...just a thought, I'm no mechanic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was able to turn the motor over manually by turning the front sprocket it will go about half a turn one way then back. after half a turn it get real stiff and I don't want to force it.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Pull the head, remove the magnet, inspect damage, nuff said.

If a motor is seized and can't turn the starter will draw alot of current trying to turn it.

If you want to check if it's seized at all, pull the plugs and turn the crank by hand it should turn relatively easy in full circles in the normal direction of rotation. Never turn a engine in the opposite direction of normal rotation, the valve timing can get screwed up.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yeah do what Killer said, pull the plugs out and turn the engine over with the front sprocket. If it won't turn over with the plugs out then there is something in the cylinder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts