Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo. I don't like fiddling with suspension, and I hoped I never had too. My zx6 tracks through a fast corner like its on rails. I took my wifes CBR600rr around the track yesterday, and it drifts wide "Now i know that a bike actually can drift wide, and that its not just coo talk from pro's"

I litterally have to turn the handlebars in to make the corner if I just lean like with my zx, it want to run off the track at higher cornering.

Is it compression or damping that I need to adjust? Compression is stiffness right, and damping is how quick the shocks revert to normal position?

Thanks

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OH yes, and I believe the oproblem is with the front right?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes I have the sport rider link, have read it aswell. I was just hoping to get a quick yes its compression or damping issue so that I can take on the problem using the sport rider guide. P.S. it feels like I have to lean much more aswell in order to make a nice tight fast turn

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
You're correct on the comp and damping. Sag first though, preload on front and rear needs to be increased some for your weight.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Sounds like a issue of ride hight. Either lower the front triple a few mm's or raise the rear with a shim.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
UNDERSTEERING ERNIE

Problem: Ernie is having a lot of trouble with his bike's front end, especially while exiting turns. His front tire loses traction and pushes to the point where it's washed out on him a couple of times. He notes that steering is a bit heavy, and on uneven sections of pavement the front tire skips over bumps and threatens to fold if pushed too hard.

Solution: The trouble Ernie is experiencing is probably due to a combination of sag and ride height settings that leaves his bike riding high up front. Having a front tire skip over bumps on the exit of a turn is a sign that the fork is topping out--without enough sack to allow the suspension to sink into depressions in the road.

Ernie should check his bike's front and rear sag settings to ensure correct spring preload. With the preload set, he should take his bike for a spin to determine if there's any change in its behavior. If the problems persist, backing off the front preload will drop the front of the bike a bit, quickening the steering and letting the wheel track over bumps more effectively. If, however, the fork starts to bottom under braking with the preload backed off, the fork tubes can be raised in the triple clamps to sharpen the steering while keeping the original preload setting.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Another issue related to front ride height - front tire profile. I hated PR2s when they first came out - but I love PRCs. Same dealio - my R6 (at the time) would understeer, requiring constant input - and the bike was way aggressively set up to turn quick with lots of rear ride height and lowered front. PRC solved the problem, and now I use it on my 636 exclusively (though I have tried a Michelin slick, the DOT's cheaper and lasts longer).

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
There are NOT any fast and easy answers.

Possible problems:

1. Incorrect sag, front too high, rear too low.
2. Incorrect spring rate resulting in poor geometry
3. Too much compression damping, not allowing front to collapse enough prior to entry
4. Not enough rebound damping,
5. Unfamiliarity with strange bike. My 1000rr was always harder to turn, I just got used to muscling it.
6. Rear tire wrong profile making bike rear low

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.