Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
i change the internals on my front master cylinder and switch the pads apparently the problem happened again.....this sucks i dont know what to do and the last thing i wanna do is take it to the shop coz this is such an easy fix JUST HARD TO figure out the problem........ahhhh im gonna hang myself hahahaha

·
Registered
952 Posts
i change the internals on my front master cylinder and switch the pads apparently the problem happened again.....this sucks i dont know what to do and the last thing i wanna do is take it to the shop coz this is such an easy fix JUST HARD TO figure out the problem........ahhhh im gonna hang myself hahahaha
if u endup having to change the calipers, then might as well upgrade to the newer ones for way better performance.

·
Registered
335 Posts
sounds to me like the MC isnt returning all the way, did u replace the Lever with a aftermarket lever? one time on my 03 r6 I replaced the brake lever with what i thought was a r6 lever, turned out to be a r1 lever an the area that pushs the MC plunger is a little longer, so it didnt allow the plunger to fully return. thus building pressure from heat etc and eventually smoking and locking up. I replaced the lever and this problem went away

·
Registered
335 Posts
Same shit happened again today but they only stayed locked up for a few minutes. I'm gonna check everything out when I get it back up to Shreveport tomorrow.
sounds like your pistons are hanging up. you need to pull you calipers and clean out the pistons. but this is different from this guys problem

·
Banned
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
the plunger is returning all the way and i check the hole behind the lever and it looks pretty good. this is weird

·
Registered
744 Posts
Ok well a update on my problem. Week before last I got back into town and didn't have time to mess with the bike that week so I dropped it off at the dealership (yeah yeah I know) and told them what was happening. Two different mechanics took my MC apart two separate times and cleaned it up, put fresh brake fluid in and bleed everything. I was told it was ready so I went to pick it up. They charged me $130 for the brake deal and for reseating my starter o-ring which was leaking a little bit. Only problem was that it wasn't ready to be picked up as my brakes were still locking up.

The next thing we all think it could be is a collapsed brake hose becasue the lever gets real hard and the brakes lock and stay locked cause there isn't anything to force the fluid back up past where it's collapsed unless you give it about 10-15 minutes at which time it's creeped past. I ordered a set of Goodridge SS Superbike brake lines and hopefully that'll fix the problem once and for all.

·
Banned
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
i bought some Brembo Rcs19 Master Cylinder and new seals for the pistons in the calipers. IF that dont do it then OMG i mean OMGGGG im selling the bike aahahahaha

·
Registered
3 Posts
i also have a 2005 zx6r, and mine has been doing the exact same thing. i was reading your first post and i thought i had written it cause the exact same thing happened. i havent taken any drastic actions yet, tried to take off the calipers but the bolts that hold it on i swear to god i cant get them off. I think my allen wrenches are slightly the wrong size.. i might try buying a new brake line like the other dude did.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The next thing we all think it could be is a collapsed brake hose because the lever gets real hard and the brakes lock and stay locked cause there isn't anything to force the fluid back up past where it's collapsed unless you give it about 10-15 minutes at which time it's creeped past. I ordered a set of Goodridge SS Superbike brake lines and hopefully that'll fix the problem once and for all.
:wtf: is a collapsed brake hose??? It would have to be pinched beyond belief. You saying that's what the Stealership told you??? and they can't find it on an exposed line????:loco:

·
Registered
3 Posts
sounds to me like the MC isnt returning all the way, did u replace the Lever with a aftermarket lever? one time on my 03 r6 I replaced the brake lever with what i thought was a r6 lever, turned out to be a r1 lever an the area that pushs the MC plunger is a little longer, so it didnt allow the plunger to fully return. thus building pressure from heat etc and eventually smoking and locking up. I replaced the lever and this problem went away
when i read this post i thought no way, that wouldn't be the problem. then i took my aftermarket "carbon fiber" handle off, and the plunger is supposed to sit in a little hole.. there wasnt even a hole for it to sit it, until i moved the thing inside around and found it! correctly installed the lever and fully flushed the front system, seems to be working great now!

·
Registered
744 Posts
:wtf: is a collapsed brake hose??? It would have to be pinched beyond belief. You saying that's what the Stealership told you??? and they can't find it on an exposed line????:loco:
A brake hose which is deteriorated internally and not allowing fluid to properly flow through. It doesn't have to be pinched on the outside to have a effect on what is going on inside. This isn't some crazy myth.

Anyway my problem turned out to be the MC but it was something that the MC rebuild kit doesn't fix.

·
Registered
74 Posts
MARK636SD Did you ever figure out what exactly the problem was with your brakes. I'm having the exact same problem. Started at a track day just doing warm up laps and my front brakes began locking up on their own. Just like you the front brake lever became crazy stiff. I bought the master cylinder rebuild kit which didn't fix the brake locking issue, so I bought the caliper seals and had both calipers rebuilt. Now I have the slight notion of brakes but they are still incredibly soft and squishy. I don't think I've fixed the problem yet.

·
Banned
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
yo open up your MC and check if theres any metal to metal rubbing inside it....IF THERE IS REPLACE THE WHOLE MC......replace the Piston Seals on calipers and clean very good....if possible clean with steam then dry it reallly really good before putting it back together.....make sure the lines are clean...air hose...do not blow on it or anything.....AFTER THAT SHOULD BE GOOD.......i replaced my MC with brembos coz the nissin or stock one had bad rubbing marks inside the MC....brembo rcs19 will cost you $350.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think it's a master cylinder issue as well, even though I replaced everything internally to the MC, but I haven't been satisfied with my brakes in almost 2 years. I saw the thread where everyone was upgrading to the Nissin calipers and thought that sounded like a good idea. So I ended up buying the complete front brake system from an 08 zx6r and will replace the calipers as an upgrade as well as replacing the MC with the 08 model to fix my braking issues.

·
Banned
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
not a bad move upgrading your part from a newer model kawi..but again bro dont buy used parts from ebay or anything specially brake system you know....buy BRAND NEW PARTS so you know you can count on it.....just replace the master cylinder with brembos and replace the seals in the calipers then you will be good.....if you can return the parts you bought RETURN it...trust me upgrading tokico to nissin is the same thing....just changing colors or calipers is the only thing you will see........performane wise between the TWO....same thing brother.......ok let me know if you fix it or not....anbody here can help.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mark are you sure about that on upgrading to nissin calipers? did you experienced it?

Mariano where are you?!!!!

·
Banned
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
bpowa yes im 100% sure that switching from tokico and nissin MC is the same....if you open both of them up the plunger are almost identical and its an oem part so performance is very limited.......seriously bro just try any aftermarket MC and for sure youll feel the difference...good luck

·
Registered
382 Posts
never mind.. i though you ment calipers...

but I would love a brembo mc but money, is not on my side at the moment..

im just trying to find a working MC.. here goes my weekend ride..

21 - 39 of 39 Posts