Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help identifing a 2000 Canadian vs US ZX-6R. I have bought a 2000 ZX-6R which only had 585 miles on odometer from a dealer in the US. After checking the vin number vs the kawasaki web site it appears that my bike is Canadian. A color code of 4 means Sunbeam Red / Ebony. My bike is the firecracker red scheme which does not match the vin number. According to the Kawasaki web site this was a Canadian color not US color. Also do the bikes speedometer in Canada only have miles per hour markings (as does mine) or kilometers per hour only or both. I am beginning to think this bike was wrecked and repaired and new odometer put on. Bike has a clean title no rebuilt title.

In short I think I have been massively ripped off!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I need the info to go back tomorrow and confront the Stealer (aka Dealer)

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
If I remember my speedo correctly (my bike is in storage right now so I cant check)...Canandian bikes have Km/h along the outside ring of the speedo(bigger #'s) and mph on the inner (smaller).

Either that or they only have Km/h, and no mph.

If yours have has only mph the speedo is US for sure.
On the upside, if it's a Canadian version, you might have 1 extra HP :)

The Canadian bikes had the stripe decals on it in 2000, but I think the US ones were all red.

-=Welcome To Canada=-
2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CdnNinjaZX6R,

Thanks for the reply. I thought Canadian models had to kmp on the speedo. I don't mind the extra 1 HP, I am worried about the actual mileage on the bike. If someone replaced the speedo then the miles effectively were rolled back. Aka the mileage on the odometer does not match the actual miles on the bike.

Also why the difference in the colors? Why is the bike in US spec Firecracker red instead of Sunbeam red / ebony stripes? I think the bike was wrecked. I am not wanting to own a previously wrecked bike!

Once again thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know what has to be done to a canadian bike to title it in the US?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
From my, ahem, employment background I can tell you that there IS a thing happening these days where people are getting their hands on demo'd vehicles, and taking the VIN plates and putting them on STOLEN vehicles, then re-registering the stolen vehicle as a REBUILT vehicle (hope you follow me)...

Not saying that there is any relation to YOUR situation, but if you're concerned the bike is either REBUILT or STOLEN or BOTH... there should be other less visible serial numbers (ie/ engine, other parts) that MAY be able to be traced by Kawasaki. If there are any numbered markings on the engine cases, for example, it may be worth a shot notifying Kawasaki to see if they can trace these, and if they match up to the vin plate currently attached to the vehicle.

Might be worth a phone call to Kawasaki if you're genuinely worried. Maybe they can help you find some other markings anyway, or give you more details about the VIN attached to the bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I took the advice and called Kawasaki (their number is 949-770-0400) the engine serial number matched the vin number. Kawasaki says there are no other serial numbered parts on the bike *not even the speedo). Kawasaki said that this bike was indeed a US model and they gave me the name of the dealer and their phone number. I didn't know Kawasaki sold the sunbeam red / ebony color combination in the US! I took a second look at the speedo again and mine had MPH in big white numbers and KMPH in little blue numbers.

I did come across the only company that offers a title search / vehicle history for motorcycles. Here is their address http://www.autotitleguard.com They give you a 50,000 dollar guarantee that the bike is not a rebuilt / salvage / stolen recovery/ odometer rollback. However they are not licensed in the state of Florida so I could not use the service.

I did get a 30 day warrenty with the bike but the dealer said he would not repair it under warrenty. However the dealer said he wanted me to be happy so he would give me the full purchase price against any other bike in inventory. I did not even have to threaten them or get red on them! Dealer said he doesn't want unhappy customers out there ruining their reputation.

There were no other Kawasaki's available so I picked up a gsxr-750 and I am happy now.

The ZX-6R had been dropped, had a big dent in the front wheel and almost all of the fairing attach points were broken. I missed this because I didn't check the bike out close enough. It was parked between two other bikes with barely enough room to squeeze through. I didn't check the bike closely also because I bought it from a reputable dealer and it only had 598 miles. I have learned my lesson now and won't let the new bike (almost like wearing beer goggles) fever keep me from throughly checking the bike!

Regards and everyone have a great christmas and new year!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Glad to hear ya got things worked out so you're happy...

but I mean... A SUZUKI ????

just kiddin bro, it's a nice ride... just ain't, well, a KAWI...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.