Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just picked up an '06 zx-6R for the track. Now, I have an '05 zx-10R and do all the normal maintenance (oil change, coolant change, chain lube/cleaning, etc.) myself to cut some costs and eliminate the stupidity that occurs at most dealerships. Now I don't have a service manual for the 6R, so I'm a little lost trying to locate a few bolts. I need to find the oil drain bolt and coolant drain bolt. If possible could somebody take pictures of these bolts with the fairings off so I could see what they look like. Also, what's the easiest way to access the radiator cap for replacing the coolant?

I'm always on zx-10r.net but they have an extremely limited ZX-6R knowledge base... Thanks a bunch guys.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
As said, why the hell you going to ask someone else about a similiar bike when they are all basically made the same...
Common mechanical locations, especially being Kawasaki here.

Sorry to be that guy to give you shit

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'm going to be uncharacteristically helpful here and say that the oil drain bolt is the one on the bottom of the sump.

I just stuck my head under my bike and there it was, staring at me from the same location as every other oil drain plug I've ever seen.

I don't really know where the coolant drain bolt is. I could find it if I wanted to, but I don't.

I don't mean this to be a flame by the way, but as the others have said...

Edit: The easiest way to get to the radiator cap is to remove the fairings.

I'm biting my tongue...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had found the oil drain bolt not too long after writing my first post. i was only confused because I too assumed it would be on the very bottom of the engine as it is on my '05 10R, but the owner's manual pointed somewhere else. I'm also assuming I will find coolant drain bolt somewhere around the same location but I'm not sure as the overflow bottle is located more towards the center of the 6R whereas it's more towards the front of the bike on the 10R. I knew I was going to get some flames for this...I just wanted a quick easy explanation so I didn't have to search over the bike. I assumed that since everybody in this section had a 6R somebody would be easily able to describe where the coolant drain bolt was on this bike and also the easiest way to get to the radiator; on the 10R you only have to remove the right mid fairings and the mirrors to flex the front fairing enough to twist off the radiator cap. The coolant drain bolt is located directly to the left of the shifter as the very bottom bolt...not sure about the 6R but I'm probably right, I just don't want to guess and check.

[:I]

·
Registered
394 Posts
YOu can get the radiator cap be removing the black plastic inner fearing on just under your throttle. ONe bolt, the other two "fasteners" as pins that stick into rubber holes. Once thats off you'll see the radiator cap.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Geez, that speed typing of mine gives off the impression that I cant speak english very deliciously..... heh, but you can read between over and around the mistakes...

·
Registered
871 Posts
While your changing your oil and coolant maybe you'll want to change the air in your tires. Before you can access the valve to release the old air you'll have to remove the valve cap. I could take a picture of this for you so you could see what it looks like.

·
Registered
394 Posts
[:Lol]
[:TTIWWOP]

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by WHOA636
While your changing your oil and coolant maybe you'll want to change the air in your tires. Before you can access the valve to release the old air you'll have to remove the valve cap. I could take a picture of this for you so you could see what it looks like.
That's very funny...lol I admit the oil drain plug was stupid and I didn't mean to type that except I had breezed through the owner manual before posting and noticed them point somewhere else (or so it seemed) so I rather hastily posted that along with the other questions just to be sure...So laugh it up buddy [:eek:)] If you're so smart where is the coolant drain bolt?

BTW: Thanks to Fade Dude for telling me how to get to the radiator cap. I assumed this bike would be just like the 10R, but I see that it has a few little tweaks ;)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Meeeaaawwww.... phhhssst..pffft *scratch*

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,304 Posts
Icepick, sorry I don't have any pictures. I have an '05 6R and recently changed the coolant. The manual refers to 2 bolts to remove when draining the coolant. Personally, I think it's kind of a f*cked up deal but the one bolt is located above the area where to oil filter is. Don't go pulling bolts until you are sure. The other is on the water pump and I believe it's an 8mm hex head. Next time I do it, I'm just going to drain from the water pump because it's the lowest point and since I run the engine while feeding it water to flush out the old. I love my 636 but every time I work on it, I long for the days when I had an R1. Much easier to work on the R1, IMHO. I'd say, just go to a dealer and act as if you're interested in buying one and ask them to show you exactly where they are. But definitely get a service manual. Worth it's weight in gold. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The one above the oil filter, drains the block fully. If he is using it as a trackbike, he wants all the antifreeze out of there.

John

·
45,304 Posts
Originally posted by Bikoman
The one above the oil filter, drains the block fully. If he is using it as a trackbike, he wants all the antifreeze out of there.
John
Yea I know but can't you fully drain the block by draining from the pump? What I mean is, drain at the pump and at the same time, start the engine let the coolant circulate thru the whole system. It will drain when it gets to the low point on the pump. At the same time, feed water into the radiator and eventually it will all be clear when it drains out of the pump by virtue of circulating thru the whole system. Is this not correct and/or is it not proper and/or can it cause any damage to do it this way? I haven't yet but the next time I was. Just thought it would be easier.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Bikoman

John
You are positive that pulling the bolt directly above the filter will drain the coolant fully? I've never heard of pulling two bolts to drain coolant, on my zx-10R the bolt that you pull looks like this:

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you drain at the pump only and add water as the engine is running first pre heat the engine then pull the plug at the water pump and then add hot water so the thermostat stays open. Keep adding hot water until water is clear.

green the only way to flllyyy![:p][^]:D

·
45,304 Posts
Originally posted by lil green monster
If you drain at the pump only and add water as the engine is running first pre heat the engine then pull the plug at the water pump and then add hot water so the thermostat stays open. Keep adding hot water until water is clear.

Yea, good call with the hot water. I was gonna edit my previous post cuz I wasn't sure if adding cool water to a hot engine block would cause any damage. It's aluminium in there, isn't it? Anyway, I can hook up my hose to the basement sink and run hot water, which is what I meant.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.