Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well phuck. I was going to go for a nice ride just a few minutes ago, but I got a problem.

*My bike is in neutral (I can roll it) but the neutral light won't come on.

*I can also shift into 1st gear and pull the clutch in, but the bike still won't start (it never would start in gear before). (The engine cutoff switch is in the "ON" position)

*When I turn the key to the on position, the sound from the fuel lines being purged is different, not as much whine as usual.

My bike has had a Clutch Switch problem before. The bike would not start in gear, kick-stand up, and clutch pulled in. So they replaced the clutch switch, but I don't think the problem went away (or maybe they never actually replaced it), and I didn't feel like having them screw around with my bike for another 2 weeks, so I didn't let it bother me (I always started in neutral anway). Well now my bike thinks it's not in neutral even though it is, and it simply won't start. Nothing turns at all.

I don't want to do a rolling start for fear of my tranny getting fucked up (again). The battery seems totally fine. My radar detector has a volt meter and it's showing normal voltage, plus everything lights up. I ran a search and similar issues came up, but nothing that's specific to this.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
547 Posts
my bike is in the shop right now for a intermitent neutral light problem. although i don't have a problem starting it like you do, it's just annoying not seeing that light come on when i know i'm in neutral.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd take the panels off, have the bike in neutral, ignition on, and look for the light to come on while you are tugging against the related wiring harness and connectors. Most problems can be traced to corrosion or chaffing. Next step I would try is jumping out the switches. If the fuel pump sounds different, its likely a corrosion problem. Look for connectors where soapy water likely entered. Soap is very corrosive. The points in this circuit are the clutch switch, kickstand, emergency stop, gear switch, fuse box, and relay. I've had a corroded fuse do exactly this problem. I had to pull the fuse out to see the white powder on the lugs.

The clutch switch on my ZX14 switches between different resistors and I believe 270 ohms is sixth gear. So on my setup, I can jumper out the switch with resistors and see if the gears change. That connector also has the oil pressure switch and three wires to the gear position switch. I wouldn't short any of the wires together, except with the resistor on my bike.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, well today I was fiddling with the bike some more, trying to get the neutral light to come on and get it to start and I had some luck.

After shifting down to first, and then back up into neutral a few times, the neutral light came on. I fired it up right away with no problem. However, something must be loose because I spent 20 minutes yesterday trying to get it to start and had no luck and no neutral light.

I'm going to take it to the dealership tomorrow ASAP. They need to fix the clutch switch or whatever is making this happen. That should fix my bike's inability to start in gear as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar issue, I replaced my Z900”s fuel pump and since then my bike Neutral light is showing a blinking ( - - ) sign, same with the temperature light, and the bike wont start, also the fuel priming sound from the tank doesnt come up. I have tried everything I know, but it's not starting. Please who can assist me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts