Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buying Ninja 250r - is this a reasonable buy?

I'm about to purchase my first bike - a 2008 blue Ninja 250r.

I was negotiating with 2 people, and I was going to get the first one due to the low mileage, and mod-free / risk free. Plus the bike was babied, garage kept, etc. Need to know if Option 2 is worth it, or too risky for a first bike, and if I decided to upgrade to a bigger bike next summer if you think resale value will still be decent because of the mods (some expensive).

Option 1 - $2500 after negotiating (originally wanted $3,000) - 2900 miles

Like brand new Electric Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250. 3000 miles. Never laid down. The body is in mint condition with no scratches or dents. Garage kept and serviced regularly. Motorcycle has been recently serviced with an inspection and oil change. Only modification is electric blue rim stripes. All other parts are stock, straight from the factory.
Option 2 - $2800 solid - 7,300 miles

Blue '08 Ninja 250R. No scratches or dents. Great condition.
This bike has many upgrades such as:
- Yoshimura Carbon Fiber Exhaust full system (intake & pipe)
- Competition Werks Fender Eliminator Kit
- Pugh Racing tinted shield
- Racing foot pegs
- Frame sliders
- and a few other goodies
* I also talked him into throwing in a bike cover, a Large Scorpion Exo helmet with tinted shield, and a large should and elbow padded black jacket.
I had a verbal agreement to get the bike from option 1, but her husband didn't know me and her had a deal and sold it this morning for $2,900, and I was supposed to get it this week.

So now I have an agreement with option 2 (thankfully I never quit negotiations with him while completing my deal option option 1), and think I'm going to go down (2 hours away) and pay for it and get the title transferred this week so that I don't miss out on the bike. I wont finish my MSF course until July 22nd though, so I'll have to go back down there in a week or 2 to actually pick it up.

Option 2 says it has never been dropped or laid down, and runs perfectly. Any concerns I should have or opinions any of you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Nada Average Retail Prices:

Option 1 - $2,605 / Would have bought for $2,500
Option 2 - $2,888 / Will be buying for $2,800 (pending what you guys say).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Option 2
because
Yoshi will run you 200-300
Fender Kit - 100-150
Shield - 50-100
Pegs - 20-50
Sliders - 20-50
just those listed parts are worth it

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
7300 miles is nothing
Option 2
because
Yoshi will run you 200-300
Fender Kit - 100-150
Shield - 50-100
Pegs - 20-50
Sliders - 20-50
just those listed parts are worth it
aftermarket parts do not add to the resale value of a motorcycle significantly.

·
Registered
685 Posts
aftermarket parts dont add to the sale of the bike, but they do make the bike more attractive to future buyers. I'd say you go with option 2, just cause youll potentially be able to sell it faster.

·
Registered
317 Posts
7300 miles is nothing

aftermarket parts do not add to the resale value of a motorcycle significantly.
i wasnt talking about resell value. I was talking about if he ends up wanting to put parts like those in future he would spend much more on them then buying them already on the bike

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
it's a 250, none of that stuff is necessary except for the frame sliders.

rearsets if you're gonna track it. other than that...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Has it already had the 7500 mile maintenance with valve adjustment ? This scheduled maintenance can cost a few hundred dollars due to the need to adjust the valves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Has it already had the 7500 mile maintenance with valve adjustment ? This scheduled maintenance can cost a few hundred dollars due to the need to adjust the valves.
I never thought to ask that. Thank you for pointing that out! I'll text and ask him tomorrow! If he hasn't, does that change things? Make $2800 too much for something that needs maintenance very soon

·
Registered
448 Posts
Doesn't necessarily mean the price is too high. Just something to be aware of as far as your overall budget in the event it wasn't done. The bike is worth what you are willing to pay and what the seller is willing to accept. Price also depends on time and location.

Personally, if something is right for me, and I can afford it, I don't worry about what someone else paid six months ago half way across the country. The enjoyment you get out of the bike more than makes up for a couple of hundred bucks in the long run. Waiting to get the "best" deal could mean you don't have a bike this summer. That said, if the 7500 mile maintenance hasn't been done, use it to negotiate the price, but don't expect the seller to pay the full cost;after all, the service isn't due yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts