Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm having a small problem. My friend basically gave me a 97 ZX6R as my first bike. Only thing is...I need to get it going first. The bike has been sitting there for almost 4 years, not being run at all. I flushed all the fluids and replaced them all, put a new battery, new stator/cover, brakes/cables, battery, cleaned out the carb, replaced all the lines, new tires. I got it running, but the only thing is, it rev's up to 6k when I start it then drops to 3k then dies. If I do get it to idle around 2k, if I bearly roll back the throttle, it stalls out. What else could be wrong with this bike? :Hmmmm: I'm really getting pissed at it! :M16: Please help me....:D

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
if it runs at all it means you have spark and compression.

which means fuel delivery....

is the fuel pump working?...and the fuel pump relay?

Hows the fuel filter..?

You say you cleaned the carbs? did you take each of the float bowls off and clean each and every jet and passageway?

Vacuum leaks are another possibility that can cause you to pull out your hair...

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
If it starts and revs up, the fuel system is working. I'd ceck the idle adjustment, choke cable, and the the throttle cables for binding.

A carb clean entails pulling all the fuel jets, air jets, and spraying/blowing out all the fuel circuts. If you still have problems after that you will need to dip the carbs (fully disassembled of course) in carb dip, then use contact cleener (brakekeen) to clear all the passages.

Sounds like the bike is running on choke then warms up and dies because it is getting too rich.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the fuel filter is brand new and on correctly. When we removed the carb for cleaning, I had my brother brother in-law help me put it back on. While we were putting it back on, he kindda readjusted the cable tensions. I have another friend coming this weekend that works on bikes. Hopefully we can get it up and running better, if not, at least know what the #&~* is going wrong. Running rich does seem like a better avenue to look into. We did play with the idle screw and the choke a lot. I had another friend who used to race a 97 ZX6R help me tune the choke and idle screw, we got it running a little better, but still very sensitive.

Thanx for the input!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts