Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the running temp for a 1995 zx6r? is the white middle line the temp it should be at? I am going to take apart the radiator etc and give it all a good cleaning. What coolant do you guys suggesT? And I am guessing I shoudl use a 50/50 mix? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
20 Posts
i've got a J2 and it runs between 65 and 75 degs depending on the weather.

sounds like yours is running ok if the gauge is in the middle.

your coolant should be a 50/50 mix but check on the bottle what the manufacturer says.

make sure you use soft water or distilled water.
if you use hard water it causes scales accumulation in the water passages and reduces the efficieny of the cooling system.

when you've changed it all and flushed the system and refilled it,run the bike up till the electric fan cuts in.then check the coolant level when the bike has cooled down a bit.
if you have to top it up thur the rad be careful cos it might still be under pressure and the coolant will be hot.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Maybe we can get Dave over here to help us out. Barring that . . .BWHAHA!

Seriously though, I have a '95 ZX-6R. The bikes run very cold. The thermostat opens 136-144 degrees F according to the manual. On the guage this translates to just above the 1st mark. The middle mark is about 200 degrees F and this is usually where the cooling fan comes on. The guys at Factory Pro recommended blocking off part of the radiator until the gauge reads about halfway between the first and middle mark to get best performance. I have about half my radiator blocked off with the back of a plastic three ring document folder that I bought at Walmart for $1.

I am running plain ole Prestone green anti-freeze 50/50 with distilled water. You might want to run some radiator cleaner through it and give it a good flush. Then flush with distilled water. To get a 50/50 mix add 46 ounces of straight anti-freeze and top it up with distilled water.

If we made any mistakes Dave will be over here to straighten us out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So by the sound of it my bike is running hot [V], this is on a 40 degree day too! So I am very scared, Im off to go get coolant + flush, thanks![|)]

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, the 2nd owner told me the first owner said it needs a new coolant hose ( or something along those lines ). Sadly the 2nd owner is not technically able so thats all the information I could get out of him, my question is could this reason be thereason its running hot? I bought the flush and coolant, should I disammble the rediator system and clean it out manually or check the tubes before I flush? Time isnt an issue, I have all day ( lazy sunday at its best ) so anything anyone can help me out on would be nice, thanks!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I would flush it first. If it is really over heating I would consider checking the thermostat. It is on the back of the engine. Just follow one of the hoses to the housing. The hoses are probably the sort of thing you can only get from Kawasaki.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.