Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new helmet. I currently wear a Vega xxl and so figured I would be about the same size in a KBC. So I ordered one through Ebay and when it arrived I could barely get it on and off it was so tight. I went to the bike shop we have here in town just to make sure their KBC helmets fit the same and they did. So I now know that helmet sizes can vary quite a bit from brand to brand. The bike shop here in town only stocks KBC, HJC and Vega. In HJC a xxl fit fine but I'm not really feelin their designs. I went to Cycle Gear in San Antonio and tried on Shoei xl and it fit fine and was gonna try Arai but they didn't have anything larger than a large. My question for you guys is: from your expierience with different helmets, if I wear a xl in Shoei and an xxl in Vega and KBC, what size would fit in Arai, Suomy, Icon (these are brands that I like the most as far as graphics and designs) and maybe some others I forgot about- like does Arai happen to run small or larger than most brands and the same with the other brands. I'd really appreciate some help from you guys because really my only option is to order a helmet off the internet so I'm unable to try it on before I buy. Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
i dont konw anything about that helmet, but mabe you can buy differant pads for it and make it a little bigger.

on a side not, you have a big head. i wear like a medium.[:Lol]

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
My first helmet was a KBC VR-1 in a XL, and when I went looking for a new one I tried on a newer KBC VR-2 and it fit wayyy smaller than the first. I do wear a XL in Arai, an XL in Shoei, but Suomy seems to run small, as I would wear a XXL if I owned one. It fits fine, but the top pad is a little too snug on my forehead, but you might be able to switch those out. I currently have a Arai RX-7, and love it. I had to go out of town to try on an Arai and a Suomy here as well, because shops around here didnt really carry much when I was looking. If there are out of town shops that carry what you want, make it a good ride to go to one to try some on.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,507 Posts
The better helmet brands allow you to buy the individual interior pieces in each custom size so you can custom fit the helmet to your head (arai, shoei, suomy, shark's top of the line, vemar, etc). Basically Arai and Shoei and Icon are more or less the same, but Icon's interior quality and general inner shape are a lot more bargai-bin than Arai or Shoei, Suomy and Vemar fit one size small (I wear a size Small in Shark and Arai, but a Medium fits better in Vemar and Suomy...my head is between small and medium of those two, but fits really well in a Shark or Arai size small.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanks guys, this is exactly what I'm looking for, especially which helmet brands run about the same size as other brands. I'm really looking at Arai, Suomy and Shoei but I've never heard of Vemar helmets- I'll have to take a look at em. I also wouldn't mind hearing about Icon sizing because if I can I might try and save a bit of money. Keep em coming!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have trouble with finding helmets that fit tight enough for me. Even my XS Arai could be a bit tighter. Haven't yet looked into trying different pads to make it fit more snug. I can't imagine buying a helmet online because the fit has to be just right and you can't try it on first.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,507 Posts
Originally posted by 05TitaniumZX6R
I have trouble with finding helmets that fit tight enough for me. Even my XS Arai could be a bit tighter. Haven't yet looked into trying different pads to make it fit more snug. I can't imagine buying a helmet online because the fit has to be just right and you can't try it on first.
Look up online prices for what you want, then try that size on at a dealer, then tell the dealer "I can get this for xxx online," and if they won't bargain, then say "Thanks for letting me size it, anyway," and go home and buy the right size online. =) Don't try that at a local race shop, though, those guys need the money. Fuck dealers, they rip you off enough as it is. =)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Suomy definately fits tighter than Arai or Shoei. My Suomy medium was really snug when I got it, but has broken in nicely. It's still very snug, but not painfully tight (after several hours) any more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
everyone is talkin about suomy, arai, shoei,HJC, or shark, but yall have forgotten to mention scorpion. I have one and I liked the fit over all the other helmet brands ...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wasn't too impressed with Scorpion's designs- nothing that really caught my attention ya know. I tend to like more of a picture that stands out than a simple design like the Arai Tommy Gun or KBC Gunslinger or the Icon Skull helmet are some examples. Plus I heard had heard that how Scorpion's shields are held on is not that strong and has been known to break easily. Do you know how Scorpion fits compared to other brands? Hey I appreciate the idea.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,507 Posts
Originally posted by KawiEX250
everyone is talkin about suomy, arai, shoei,HJC, or shark, but yall have forgotten to mention scorpion. I have one and I liked the fit over all the other helmet brands ...
I didn't mention Scorpion on purpose. Their visor mechanism is flimsy as hell (Shark's 'push-one' visor system is even faster and easier to use than Scorpion's, and it's VERY solid), their visor optics suck ass, the graphics quality is terrible, even if some of their actual designs look alright, the interior materials are bottom-rung, they're EXTREMELY heavy compared to a real top-shelf helmet, and the fit is just so-so for me. Keep in mind that every helmet brand fits different shaped heads better or worse. Scorpion helmets have all the features of the top-shelf helmets...that much is true...they just don't work nearly as well, and some don't work at all. When you try to cram that many features into a helmet that cheap, you get what you'd expect to get. That's my oppinion. I've met lots of guys who swear by Scorpion, but I've ridden with Scorpions and sized both the 400 and 700, and it just can't compete with the likes of Vemar, Suomy, Arai, Shark, Shoei, etc.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone know how Icon fits compared to the other brands. I think I'm gonna go with Icon because I just can't quite afford to buy a $500 helmet. Under $300 is more my price range. I'd really appreciate the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.