Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made a couple modifications to the bike and my welder shat the bed last weekend. I need to get a new flange welded to the ex. manifold, but I can't get parts for my welder. The regulator, feed roller clamp, torch valve, and electrode shield all took a dump. I guess Ol' Sparky has just had it.

My question is, is there anyone in the Phoenix-Metro area willing to help me out with some light welding so I can get the bike on the dyno in the near future?

I'm located in Tempe, AZ. Please PM me if you can help me out. I really appreciate the support from KF members. Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
shit man.. wish i could help ya bro.. if you've got a stick welder and are in a bind, theres TIG conversions that come with everything but the bottle for about $200 at most welding supply shops.. it'll be scratch-start, but if you're not welding aluminum (which you're not) then you're golden.. Tig welding stainless and carbon steel is cake,if you've never done it.

most roller assemblies are universal.. i'm surprised you can't find wheels.. you can always make em if you got access to a lathe..

regulators ARE universal.. all ya gotta do is hook it up somehow.

sorry i can't be there to weld that shit up for ya homey.. good luck.. worst case scenario, mail them.. i'll zap em and send them back. lol

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shit man.. wish i could help ya bro.. if you've got a stick welder and are in a bind, theres TIG conversions that come with everything but the bottle for about $200 at most welding supply shops.. it'll be scratch-start, but if you're not welding aluminum (which you're not) then you're golden.. Tig welding stainless and carbon steel is cake,if you've never done it.

most roller assemblies are universal.. i'm surprised you can't find wheels.. you can always make em if you got access to a lathe..

regulators ARE universal.. all ya gotta do is hook it up somehow.

sorry i can't be there to weld that shit up for ya homey.. good luck.. worst case scenario, mail them.. i'll zap em and send them back. lol
I have a TIG with a stick arc clamp but I was REALLY trying to avoid that as the mani has to support the weight of the turbo. I may have to resort to that. I'm going dirt riding this weekend but I'll see if I can get something going on this as our Dyno at the shop is up and running again.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
even tho imho a tig weld is WAY thinner and isn't as structurally sound (many have argued that with me..) you can if you so desire, add support strips in the design.

i've seen it a 1000 times on car manifolds where someone has a T-88 hanging of a manifold and theres little strips of stainless welded in to place to distribute load.

sounds like you'd rather not do that, tho.. wish i had another suggesting bro.. other than grinding bevels, making a root pass, then layering your beads .. might end up making like 4 passes (1 root, 3 overlay) but it'll work and look killer as well.. lol

i wish ya luck on it tho man.. when i'm rich, i'll buy you a new brand name welder and mail that shit to ya..

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'd TIG the fucking thing together but I don't have any straight argon. :( I may have to stick weld it and brace the shit out of it. I just don't have the money to fix this thing, my Eclipse, and everyone else's bikes I somehow keep inheretting. Blah

Dyno video, numbers and pics to come.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
sell everyonme elses shit or charge the fuck out of them for the "load" ya know? hell man.. don't screw yourself on that kinda shit.. lol.. i gave up charity work a long time ago for everyone.. it don't pay the bilsl or buy tools.. i'll do it for a select few, and depending on what it is, but ya.. i used to do alot of free labor.. F that shit.

you're more man that i if you stick weld it.. the last turbo manifold i built myself, i spend a SOLID 2 weelks weliding, since i'd get going, then burn thru.. shit!.. patch.. ok.. get going.. burn thru . repeat. lol

your luck sounds like mine so far.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
sell everyonme elses shit or charge the fuck out of them for the "load" ya know? hell man.. don't screw yourself on that kinda shit.. lol.. i gave up charity work a long time ago for everyone.. it don't pay the bilsl or buy tools.. i'll do it for a select few, and depending on what it is, but ya.. i used to do alot of free labor.. F that shit.

you're more man that i if you stick weld it.. the last turbo manifold i built myself, i spend a SOLID 2 weelks weliding, since i'd get going, then burn thru.. shit!.. patch.. ok.. get going.. burn thru . repeat. lol

your luck sounds like mine so far.

Yeah that was the story of my life. Burn, spot, burn spot. LOL The mani is intact, I just need to spark up the new inlet flange.

The bike in my yard right now is a '92 600-D. If got it dialed for my buddy/neighbor and the first night out he ran it into a plam tree down the street from my house. Wasted the entire front end and radiator. Now it's a yard orniment.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
damn! man that sucks!! lol.. ya.. i'd be pulling parts for "rent" off it.. llol

i've all but put my turbo shit on the back burner, speaking of luck.. man i can't get a gaw dam break financially.. i wanna get a T3 but can't find a deal.. i don't wanna use this TDO4-L any more.. and beside.. i have almost literally no money.. everything sucks..

lol

at least you're doin better than me tho!! hah... can't wait to see your shit on a dyno.. otta be sick

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn! man that sucks!! lol.. ya.. i'd be pulling parts for "rent" off it.. llol

i've all but put my turbo shit on the back burner, speaking of luck.. man i can't get a gaw dam break financially.. i wanna get a T3 but can't find a deal.. i don't wanna use this TDO4-L any more.. and beside.. i have almost literally no money.. everything sucks..

lol

at least you're doin better than me tho!! hah... can't wait to see your shit on a dyno.. otta be sick
I feel your pain. Kinda feels like everyone here hates me because I'm quick to flame stupidity. You have been instrumental in this whole endeavor though. I know a great tech when I see one, and I'd love to work with you sometime. If you are in Phoenix you where to drop a line.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd help you if I was there, I just got done rewelding the flange on my midpipe to the muffler with a stick, talk about tiny rod and little bity amounts of amperage, but aslong as you get a small like 5/64th E6010 you should be good, maybe 60 amps

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I sent the turbo over to a friend's performance shop to get the new turbine housing plate cut but I'm still stuck on what to do about the manifold flange.

There should be a turbo there...:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts