Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currentyl trouble shooting my race bike because it is heating up too quick and runs consistantly on the hot side. O.K. now the question is(you will need 2 people or front and rear stands)

-With you bike on flat level ground lean your bike into normal riding position(like you normally check your oil level) and start you motor. I need to know what level your oil starts(before engine starts) and how low or if the oil level disapears(with motor running) and how fast does it disapeare(from when you start)? All with giving no throttle.

I am thinking my oil pressure is weak. Either something got sucked up or something is crapping out. Well thanks to anyone who can help!!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hummm...So it is still visable in the fish eye then.
Mine seems to do the same, for some reason I feel the oil should disapear from the fish eye all together but I could be wrong. I have never paid this much attention to my heat before but the bike is fine cruising(under 200)and just constantly cycles the fan in traffic or sitting(208-216) which is kinda normal but when I shut it off the over flow bottle is boiling. Something doesn't seem right and when the temp rises it climbs about 2 degrees a second pretty quick and steady. Again I maybe crazy but I think something is wrong.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
i have mine smack dead on the line & it takes 2-3 seconds tops & the window will empty & then quickly refill once i cut the engine

Reactions: spooner427

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
From the boil over at engine off...almost sounds like your cooling system isn't pressure tight? I'll have to check the oil window on mine and report back.

edit...Just checked the window on a cold bike...front and rear stands. Level at the top line...after start mine took about 10-15 seconds to fully empty window.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
halfway, like 1 sec oil is gone

Reactions: spooner427

·
Registered
980 Posts
First thing that comes to my mind is blown head gasket.
I've had a streetbike that would overheat after about a couple mins of riding. Head gasket was blown allowing comression into the cooling system and causing what acted like a overheat.
Have you checked the compression? Find out if one cylinder is loosing compression and see if you can cause the same affect using a air compressor.

Or possible that you haven't gotton all the air out of the cooling system? Recently changed coolant or something?

If you suspect that you have low oil pressure, I would pull the pan and see if there are shavings in the oil pickup screen. I've had a motor lose oil pressure slowly and it was plugged up and wasn't allowing enough oil to the top end and the cams and head were being chewed up.

Just my .02 and a couple thoughts.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the input!!! Rep for everyone!!(zarussian says I must wiat longer to give you rep again)

LilJRR I think got it right with head gasket. I blew a rad hose at the track last time and continued around the track not knowing it had happend and over heated the bike. So my motor is gonna have to come back out and get rebuilt. Thanks guys for the help!!!

·
Powerhungry
38,157 Posts
you get this figured out yet? is it a HG? or...still air in the system? from your blown hose? id start by trying to bleed the air first.

also, i tried it again..let it sit a bit longer. it does drain the window..after 10-15 seconds.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
spooner i'd like to watch ya pull that motor apart, your only like 45 mins away so if you wouldn't mind i'd like to see it come apart & etc.. thats the ONLY thing i really haven't done yet on a bike

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you get this figured out yet? is it a HG? or...still air in the system? from your blown hose? id start by trying to bleed the air first.

also, i tried it again..let it sit a bit longer. it does drain the window..after 10-15 seconds.
I am not positive but here is the info.
The bike was slipping gears and brought the bike to the track to trouble shoot because it was only doing it on the track. Did some sessions and coming down the front straight I popped my rad hose by the front sprocket and didn't notice. I stayed on the gas still at open track pace and noticed my left foot was slipping on the beg and pulled into the pit to check it out. As I looked down another guy pulled up and told me that they saw a puff of smoke out the side and said I might have blown the motor. I shut it off and could smell the water wetter and then saw the hose and the gauge was blinkin "high". I took the bike home and figured the gear trouble was the trans and changed out my trans. Now the bike shifts great but after a week of riding it runs hot(over flow bottle boils. systems stays under 220) and coolant seems to disapeare and I seem to always have too much oil. Also my motor over the week is getting noisier and noisier and the oil feels really thin. Changed oil and reflushed system again and it still seems to be heating way to quick and running hot. So it is either

Head gasket and getting water in the oil or I am going crazy and oil is good and my bike is running really lean. The motor needs to be rebuilt anyways and for next year I am looking to get the 2009 so this bike will be my backup/wife's bike.

spooner i'd like to watch ya pull that motor apart, your only like 45 mins away so if you wouldn't mind i'd like to see it come apart & etc.. thats the ONLY thing i really haven't done yet on a bike
Thats cool with me. The motor will be pulled out and broke down in one day and then the head will get sent out for a valve job and another day the motor will get put back together and put back in. The out will go quick the in will be a little more work. This will be the first time for me doing the head and rings on a bike(I have done car motors) but can't be any worse then pulling the motor, splitting the case and changing the gears. Let me know how you schedule looks. I am not in a hurry to get it done since the season is pretty musch over for me.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Thats cool with me. The motor will be pulled out and broke down in one day and then the head will get sent out for a valve job and another day the motor will get put back together and put back in. The out will go quick the in will be a little more work. This will be the first time for me doing the head and rings on a bike(I have done car motors) but can't be any worse then pulling the motor, splitting the case and changing the gears. Let me know how you schedule looks. I am not in a hurry to get it done since the season is pretty musch over for me.
sweet man, i'll bring the beer :D i'm usually good on the weekends like sunday etc.. sat i usually work till 6

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sweet man, i'll bring the beer :D i'm usually good on the weekends like sunday etc.. sat i usually work till 6
Beer out motor but no beer back in :D too easy to forget stuff. Ok so Sunday's work for you. I will let you know. I am currently kinda busy with trying to get a puppy and I have a car I need to get out of my garage to make more room also. If your bike needs tires, bring tires(or I have some) and your rims and we can do some mounting and balancing also.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
yeh, it does sound like a HG or a crack.

detailed pics/thread on the rebuild would be cool.
oh oh i can bring the digital slr :D

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeh, it does sound like a HG or a crack.

detailed pics/thread on the rebuild would be cool.
Hopefully not a crack.....
Yeah I was thinkin the same thing. I will try and take pics like the "swap shifting forks" one I did.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Beer out motor but no beer back in :D too easy to forget stuff. Ok so Sunday's work for you. I will let you know. I am currently kinda busy with trying to get a puppy and I have a car I need to get out of my garage to make more room also. If your bike needs tires, bring tires(or I have some) and your rims and we can do some mounting and balancing also.
yea just let me know man, should be interesting, i haven't pulled a motor apart & i'd like to see how the tranny deal works too, theres only so many things i haven't really done & thats a few

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Oh are you a camera nerd also? I have a Nikon D200 and some nice sigma lenses. Here is a picture my wife took at the begining of the year at Blackhawk farms.
lol, no we just have one at work thats pretty fuckin sweet, i wouldn't pay that much for something i'll break lol

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol, no we just have one at work thats pretty fuckin sweet, i wouldn't pay that much for something i'll break lol
Well when we goto the track next year my wife will shoot pics of us. Better then paying 60 bucks a CD from the vendors. Autobahn is closer to you but is worse for pics. Blackhawk is better but is about an hour and 40 min away frm Autobahn

1 - 20 of 21 Posts