Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the rivets on their pipe? I have a D&D and it rattles like a SOB when I let off the throttle, could someone please tell me how you woudl go about taking them out and replacing them? they arent screw ins so thats about as far as my mechanical abilitly will take me [V] thanks!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well, I am kinda iffy about telling you this but I take rivets out by drilling the head with a drill bit a little bit smaller than the original hole. By drilling the head you are weakening the rivet. I would say drill into the rivet about 1/16 to 1/8 deep. No need to go all the way thru. Then with the non-drilling side of the drill bit (unless you have a punch that size) you will put it in the hole you just drilled and try to break the head of the rivet off by lightly prying on all directions in a circular motion. Try not to put too much pressure so the material (pipe)wont get damaged. Also dont use a drill bit that is too small in diameter because then there will be too much material left attaching the head of the rivet to the shank. After you break the head off then push the rest of the rivet (stem, bucktail) out of the hole.
The rivet used on your pipe will probably be a pop or pull-through type rivet. This type rivets are pretty weak since they dont have a shank (hollow) and are used in areas where the loads are not critical (it is not structural) so you should not have a problem removing it.
When it comes to replacing the rivet you will need a rivet gun. You need to find the correct size (diameter) and length rivet. There is nothing complicated about installing a blind rivet. Once you get the gun it will have very simple instructions to follow. Again make sure you have the right size rivet. You want to make sure the rivet fits nice and tight in the hole. If it is too small to begin with vibration will get you back where you started.
Good luck and have fun. Any more questions feel free to ask:D:D

Let Saddam come and play!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had to replace the rivits on my can and let me say what a pain in the ass. First off I usually take them out by eitehr drilling in with a smaller bit and then using a punch or by grinding the rivit head off and then using a punch. And you shuld write D&D they may send you a pack of rivits, wiley co sent me new end caps packing and rivits. Any how getting them out is not so bad, but if you use the stainless rivits like they reccomend you had better get a super heavy duty rivit gun. I busted 2 rivit guns trying to use the stainless, so I ended up using aluminum rivits and have had no problems yet. Well hope this helped

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thats a lot more confusing then I thought haha. Alright thanks a lot!
matt [|)]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.