Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a bunch of mods to my bike... I bought a ZX6RR because my insurance after rolling my truck was nuts. 3 years later... I've got a clean record & I am debating on getting a bigger bike. I'm a total speed freak & the RR just aint enough on the low end.

What do you guys think? Should I trade it in on a ZX10, or is a 636 motor swap possible? I read on another forum that somebody is modding their 636 to a 676. Anyone heard of that? My current motor is solid as hell. I think it would be big dollars to bore & stoke the 600 & I might not be happy. I like to scare myself with power.

I'm debating on getting a dyno tune to see if that helps but I think it will just be more money wasted because I won't be enough for me...

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Straightline speed? Or drag strip? Or you talking freeways? I think A busa will be the only real remedy though...

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Y2K turbine powered bike.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
What do you guys think? Should I trade it in on a ZX10, or is a 636 motor swap possible? I read on another forum that somebody is modding their 636 to a 676. Anyone heard of that? My current motor is solid as hell. I think it would be big dollars to bore & stoke the 600 & I might not be happy. I like to scare myself with power.
yes a 636 motor will bolt into your frame. you'll need the 636 ECU as well. throttle bodies are the same.

wiseco makes 655cc and 674cc big bore kits for the 636. the 655cc are 1mm overbore and the 674 are 2mm. you'll need to have the cylinders bored and replated. neither of the kits require new rods as the kits are only bored not stroked too.

the set of pistons will cost you in the neighborhood of $600 and include rings, piston pins, piston pin retaining clips, and head gasket. the boring and replating will run you several hundred as well. not to mention that you have to buy the motor in the first place, or use yours for it, but i'm not sure if it's possible on the 6RR as the cylinders are different

in the end it would be cheaper to sell your bike or trade it in on a 10R

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm probably gonna test out a ZX10 this week. The local dealer said he could sell me the last 09 ZX10 he has for 8600 bucks out the door. He showed me an article that showed 0 - 180 in 17.21 seconds. It beat the ZX14 & the Busa for 0 - 180 by 1 second accordning to the magazine.

lol Turbine powered?

I have two girls that I take care of on my own so tax season is my Christmas. I figure a faster bike & a trip to Disney World will make everyone happy. :)

The dealer offered me 3250 for my bike so I will probably sell it on my own.

I do TONS of highway riding on the bike & some twisties on I70 going up to the mountains. I heard the liter bikes suck on corners but it should be better than some of the Harly's I ride with.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Liter bikes go around corners just fine. If you are riding with Harleys you probably will not notice.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some people on this site talk about how liter bikes leave their 636's in the dust until they get on corners & they catch back up quickly becasue the liter bikes don't handle well. That's just what I have read. I ride with all types... not too many Harley guys because they get all pissy about me riding a grinder but a few of them I take the longer rides with.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
the thousands are heavier and harder to ride fast in the corners. in the hands of the same rider a liter will run lower corner speeds, but not that much, and not on the street.

once you get to the track it's a different story. depending on the track a middleweight might be faster than a liter as far as lap times. the 600s are all about corner speed and hard to match at their own games.

but we're talking about riding a 600 to it's limits. you cannot do that, there are very few people that can. if you can't ride a 600 to its limits you certainly cannot do it on a 1000.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
They catch back up because the people riding the liter bikes don't know how to ride and are scared of their bike. I can drag knee on a liter bike all damn day, and I have never even owned one.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input! I think I am sold on a liter bike.... I think I will have a dyno tune done to my bike before I sell it. I don't think there will be much that the new owner of my RR will want to do with it other than ride.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Get a CR500. Have a friend duct tape your hands to the bars. Problem solved.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
loves me a 10-R but iof you really want to scare (and probably kill) yourself, buy a 14.
they're fucking nasty.

i giggle like a little bitch every time i ride one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts