Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my second set of tires are cooked and i need new ones i've been looking at the 208s anyone have them on a 636. also i've been looking on eboy at some take offs just for the winter time anyone using the 208gp on the street. i know there race tires but you can get them so cheep are they worth it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
i imagine they would be nice tires, they problly wont last that long tho. i wanted the 207rr's but i went with the stockers cos ima chaep ass and i need tires to last for more than 3000 miles.

·
Registered
156 Posts
well i enjoy my 208gp-a even though milage isnt supposed to be that great. but ill settle for the tread life as i get them for $75 a peice.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I see that you have a 03, I just put Michilin Pilot Sports on my 01 to replace the stock Dunflops. I believe the Michilins are a much better tire. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i cant' believe you haven't mentioned one of the best tires out there. Metzler M1 sportecs. I had 207's.. hated them. switched over to metzlers and what a HUGE difference. and cheap. I got an entire set for $208 from discount motorcycletires.com or something like that. Don't go with the bridgestones either. I have them on my Z1000 and i hate them. the sides are chunking up from cornering and i have just over 1000 miles on them. The front tire is horrible.. slides around all over the place.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by bikeboy4lf
anyone using the 208gp on the street. i know there race tires but you can get them so cheep are they worth it.
Not the best tire for the street. Not only are they not a good choice for riding in the wet, they require a significant ammount of heat to produce the ammount of grip you're expecting and will give a much stiffer ride. You'd be hard pressed to be able to keep them at operating temperature except on a track. That means they will be LESS sticky than a true street tire made to be ridden not so hard. They're also designed to take but only a few heat cycles before they are trash. That's why you see one race take-offs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have the metzlers now there great but want to try something new and right now i'm broke so droping 300 on new tires is hard to swallow. but i'll look at that web site $208 for the set is a good buy

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Originally posted by NakedFun
Don't go with the bridgestones either. I have them on my Z1000 and i hate them. the sides are chunking up from cornering and i have just over 1000 miles on them. The front tire is horrible.. slides around all over the place.
I have never experienced this with Bridgestones. What kind are you running? I am assuming a low-grade pair.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I run a Rennsport RS1/RS2 combination. I love these tires, they work decent for street, and excellent for track. I usually only manage about 1500 miles though out of them (maybe 750-1250 street miles and the rest track miles) before the sides are so shagged I can't use em anymore. At $325 a set they aren't the most cost-effective though.

I have a set of barely used 012's that I'll throw on here when I have a break between trackdays though...prolly my favorite cheap street tire.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Originally posted by NakedFun
Don't go with the bridgestones either. I have them on my Z1000 and i hate them. the sides are chunking up from cornering and i have just over 1000 miles on them. The front tire is horrible.. slides around all over the place.
You sure this isn't a function of your suspension settings rather than the tire itself? Battlax BT012SS are in fact not a bad compound for a mostly street / sometimes track bias. My only complaint with them is with initial cold-weather grip, but you really can't have the best of everything. Too stiff compression settings in the front fork will cause the tire to have a somewhat "slippery" feel to it, and too soft compression with too stiff rebound will give a "wishy washy" feel, and either will easily decrease your cornering confidence.

I haven't had any complaints with the BT012SS on my 636, and I can say I'd take them over Dunlop 207's, over Avon Azaro's, and over older Battlax's any day.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I also love my bt012 they are cheap you can get the bto12ss for front and rear for less than $200 for 2! and I have complete confidence in their cornering ability. and I am amazed in their wear. I ride my bike every single day of the year and needed something with good wear and good traction and these are them. But like DJ already said they are not good tires at all for the first few miles until they get warmed up. But most tires need to be warmed up too. But I got more then 8,000 mile on my rear bt012 so far and I'd say I could put another 2-3,000 on it. But there aren't exactly many twisties here in Florida.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
All I have to say is Sportec M1 M1 M1 M1.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I love my BT010/BT020 combination, wouldn't recommended them for track use, but for the street I have been extremely impressed...Probably order the same tires next time...

I find ordering any true sport tire is a waste for me....Grippy sport touring tires seem to be the best bang for their buck for road use...

I know a rider on a VFR who only run sport touring tires and he is fast as hell...he's the one that prompted me try the BT020's....figured if he didn't have grip problems as fast as he rides, I should be fine...didn't want to fully convert to sport tuoring tires so I put a sport tire on the front (BT010).

I got them for like 190 bucks shipped and I bet I get over 8000 miles out of them. Cant beat that...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got now also a combination of Bridge's 010/ 020. Yes I've liked them on street use and I've also driven on a track with that combination not the best for the track but it works... I've thought to change next Pirelli's Diablo, I've heard only good of those tires. With 010/ 020 I dove about 13000km's last summer and they are still going on for a moment at the spring before changing new Pirelli's.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I have nothing bad to say of my 010/020 combo. I don't think I would take that 020 to the track because that is not what it is intended for. It would probably be fine, but I wouldn't want to take chances with anything that important going that speed.[8D]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.