Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new tires for my 05 zx6t 636, can anyone help me choose. I was going to go with Michelin, but my frien says he's never seen anyone with them. I was also thinking about Dunlop, but i herd they take for ever to warm up. Another option ws Pirelli. HELPPPPPPPPPPPP ME PLEASE HAVE A BIG TRIP COMMING UP THIS WEEKEND AND NEED THEM ASAP.

SCOUNDREL

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've ridden on lots of tires and here's what I can tell you. If you're lookin for a street/track tire, something that's gonna stick in the canyons, the best I've ridden on are the pirelli diablo corsa's. This is an AWESOME street and track tire. They warm up super fast and have excellent grip. However, you'll probably only get 2-3k miles out of a rear depending on how many freeway miles. The freeway is what kills the tire, you get a nice flat spot in the middle after about 2,500 miles.

The michelin street tires like the pilot powers last forever but feel like shit. The front tire always feels like it wants to wash out, ALWAYS. Its the biggest piece of shit you can buy for the front. But, they'll last forever and you can still haul ass on em.

I've never ridden on the Dunlop Qualifiers, but I've read they're comparable to the Pirelli Diablo Corsa's. Don't know about warm up though.

Good luck with you're trip this weekend, hope this helps.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Diablos for sure. Good for twisties, good for track days. Tread life isn't that great though. But you gotta make sacrefices if you like it sticky. 1+ on the michelins not being good with feedback. I've tried those and the front end almost folded on me because I couldn't feel the edge of the tire.[xx(] But don't go for tires that last forever. Those tires are friggin dangerous, take forever to warm up so not good for twisties. Choose a tire with medium compound rubber.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've been happy enough with the Pilot Powers for twisty street riding and track days (no speedster on the track). Just killed off the first rear with 4700 miles. I'll agree the front feels a little vague perhaps, but I've never had either tire slide on me on the street or the two track days I did when I first mounted the PPs.

A Diablo Corsa front with a regular Diablo rear might be my next option. I used to get 4-4.5K miles out of a Diablo rear on my Triumph 955i.

·
Registered
153 Posts
get the new michelin 2CT'S, i put them on my 06 gsxr600 before i swapped it for my 06 zx6r, there simply amazing wet and dry, iv never been on a tyre that gives so much feel in the wet, i had got just over 3000 miles before i swapped it and i deffinetly had another 1500 at least on it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
[:++1][:Agree]. i have had nothing but pirelli diablo SUPER corsa PRO's. these are and amazing tyre. but recently got the michelin 2CT'S. these ARE the best, sticky's EVER. but here in ireland i dont go out in the wet, they just dont work!!!

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I had Dunlop 208ZR's, didn't like em much, they took forever to get warm and moved around a lot while leaned over.

Switched to Pireli diablo's, loved em. great confidence and stable. Got to temp quickly.
This year I mounted pirelli diablo strada's, which are a little harder to get better mileage, and they seemed great too, I could still get a knee down, and they got to temp quick. I didn't get to find out how much mileage they get as the bike got wrecked, but I am rebuilding it, so I may get to find out still.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Metzeler M3's. I did a lot of research and comparison before I decided on these and purchased. I got the 180 rear / 70 front set and they have performed way better than I expected a set of tires could.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dude, your asking a question that your gonna get a million opinions on. I use dunlops and ive never heard of them taking forever to warm up.If you look at the race teams in america, there using dunlops. If you look at gp, i believe its michelin. I totally loved the stock bridgestones on my 06 zx6r but when i went back out to the track this last weekend, it confirmed my confidence in dunlop and its what i'll use from here on out. I say try em all. one set after the other til you find what your comfortable and confident with.:D

·
Registered
678 Posts
I second the Metzeler M3's, im running a 180 / 70 combo as well and even though the rear is pretty bald in the center the outsides are pretty new and i can drag a knee easily and with confidence, however braking hard can suck bad and slide hard due to the bald center area. However, with a few minutes of riding they're warm and ready to go.

·
Registered
272 Posts
aren't the Dunlop Qualifier's supposed to be God's new gift to riders? i've seen them being praised by several motorcycle mags and i've heard good things on forums. it seems like they have average wear, but anyone here have experience with them? sticky is good, but some of us can't afford to replace tires every 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Continental Sport Attacks or Road Attack if you want mileage.

I just put a rear Conti Road Attack on which is the sport touring model. I didnt seem to have any problems dragging my boot across the pavement on a off ramp at 80mph! The tire doesnt even know its a sport touring tire.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Personally I like the pilot powers..I just put in 2 track days at a very fast course(road Atlanta) and they warmed up very quickly and stuck like glue. Excellent feed back and feel to them. You can't go wrong with these tires.

·
Registered
102 Posts
M3s!!! quick warm up good feedback alot of confidence in these tires Good wear 2000 miles and still has a good profile. Kinda wish i had gotten the 70 instead of the 65 tho.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've seen a couple mentions of good wet tires but nothing that really stands out so I thought I would ask...

What would be the BEST wet tire when riding through the canyons? I ask this because the weather changes quite quickly in the Seattle area and I need something a bit sturdy in the rain.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've been running Diablo's since I burned thru that first set of junky OEM Battlax's. I've just put in two trackdays on my recent set of Diablo's and they are a kick ass tire.They warm up quick and offer great traction cold. They dont burn thru as quick as a pr5 but stick just as well. My ass end doesnt get squirrely on me and the front has perfect feedback.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.