Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need opinions on getting riding gear.

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Grunt_99 
#1 ·
Well I'm going to be getting a bike soon. First time getting a bike. An need info on getting some gear. Just wanted to know what you think a good ...
Helmet
Jacket
Pants/Jeans
Boots
Opinions on what you think are good. Or you like.. and a good place online to find them. I have found a helmet and need to go to one of the motorcycle shops to see if a medium size will fit me good. If you know who/what Spawn is. It's what spawn looks like with his mask off. That's what the helmet is painted like. It's a Shoei RF 800 helmet. He's selling it for $300. Think it's work it?
An I'm not looking to get a full 'step in' suit. Just a good sport leather jacket. I live in Omaha, NE so.. we have cold ass winters here. So I only plan on riding during the spring summer. If that helps out with what kind of jacket and pants I should get. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Never was much into leather, so I got the Field Sheer Monza and Titanium Air jackets with some Joe Rocket pants. No crazy about the pants, but I love both of the jackets. The Titanium is very cool in the summer, and the Monza is great for those cool spring nights.

http://www.fieldsheer.com

-gary
'02 6R

#3 ·
I have a Joe Rocket HardDrive jacket and am very happy with it. It has a removable liner that give me a wide range of temperatures I can ride comfortably in.

When buying a jacket, look for certain things...

Armor, preferably removable (elbows, shoulders).
Back pad.
Ventilation.
Easy to access pockets.
Removable liner.

If you want a combo, I don't know about the quality but here's a link that looks interesting... http://www.leatherparadise.com/racesuits.html

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

#5 ·
Get leather, if you ever go down you'll be glad you did. Do some research, the textile materials (although better than nothing) do not compare to leather for protection. You'll never see a pro-racer wearing textile. Ya, that's not really a valid statment since we're not them, but it makes a point...sort of.

That said, I have both. But if I'm doing anything "aggressive" at all then the leather goes on. Or if I do have the textile (armored) pants then at the very least I wear jeans under them too.

#6 ·
Not to disagree with your protection statement, but racers also wear leathers because they allow greater freedom of movement, and they're not near as bulky as the padded nylon. The 600 class is so close, a jacket flapping in the wind would kill your time.

-gary
'02 6R

#7 ·
Another benefit with leather is that it's easily repaired. A cordura jacket is basically good for one shot. Once it's damaged you might as well replace it. I was lucky in my accident that my jacket didn't take any real damage.

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

#8 ·
A good quality textile jacket shouldn't flap in the wind either though, if it is it's probably too big. The only jackets I ever see flapping are guys wearing non-motorcycle jackets. But I think if you were to try on both, you'd agree that leather is far superior in every way. Just to play devils advocate I actually have greater movement in my textile gear. The leather pants can sometimes stick to the tank a bit, etc. But even just having the leather on ya "feel" safer.

Textile almost feels like a snowsuit. And it can't take the abrasion that leather just laughs off. IMO, textile is ok for commuting and around town, but anything beyond that is pushing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.