Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i have a 06 zx6r, currently only has a yoshi rs5 slip on. I am wondering, if i get header pipes, air filter, power commander and quickshifter fitted, how would it compare to say an 08 gsxr750?

I am in half mind about keeping or selling the bike... so would like opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Modding your bike can be a pleasant and rewarding journey, especially if you have a trusted mechanic and enough $$$ to play with along the way. It is very exciting to fit new and improved parts and then testing them on the road. If you ask me, direct performance comparisons between bikes are a bit philosophical. What matters is how you feel when riding them and customizing your ride to your exact needs can give you great joy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to own an 05 gsxr 750, had a great time riding it in the short time i had it, unfortunately, i wrote it off and almost myself in the process... however, i do enjoy the 636, and would like to add a bit more power and torque to the bike.. hence whi i am in this current mindframe...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I used to own an 05 gsxr 750, had a great time riding it in the short time i had it, unfortunately, i wrote it off and almost myself in the process... however, i do enjoy the 636, and would like to add a bit more power and torque to the bike.. hence whi i am in this current mindframe...
In this case, go for it!

You should also consider suspension upgrades, money well spent every time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
as much as I'm a kawa fan the 750 will always be better than a 600 or 650.
Just quicker in a straight line and as good in the bends.
and then get the suspension serviced and setup for yourself
that my 2p worth

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that my 2p worth
Speaking of suspension, would you happen to know how much difference the suspension setup would make on a road based bike? Does it make that much of a difference in handling? Also, would braided brake lines be something i should consider investing in?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Speaking of suspension, would you happen to know how much difference the suspension setup would make on a road based bike? Does it make that much of a difference in handling? Also, would braided brake lines be something i should consider investing in?
Better suspension will make a huge difference in handling, braking and overall safety. I saw more improvement in braking with my bike when I changed the fork springs in comparison to changing the brake lines. Every little helps of course! Here are some of my thoughts on the matter, it's not the same bike but a road bike nonetheless:

YSS shock absorber impressions

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Better suspension will make a huge difference in handling, braking and overall safety. I saw more improvement in braking with my bike when I changed the fork springs in comparison to changing the brake lines. Every little helps of course! Here are some of my thoughts on the matter, it's not the same bike but a road bike nonetheless:

YSS shock absorber impressions

Thanks for the links GR Rider, great reading material. I will talk to my mechanic and see what he can come up with. Now i seen you thead about installing your short levers what brand are they? And do the cheap ebay chinese brands vary much in comparison to say the british Comet? And adjustable rearsets?? Any thoughts, branding to value??

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Thanks for the links GR Rider, great reading material. I will talk to my mechanic and see what he can come up with. Now i seen you thead about installing your short levers what brand are they? And do the cheap ebay chinese brands vary much in comparison to say the british Comet? And adjustable rearsets?? Any thoughts, branding to value??
You are welcome :)

Fitting surprisingly cheap aftermarket items is obviously risky, so always prefer eponymous products. A cheap tank pad or mirror will not endanger you but an untested exhaust or a 30$ chain kit will .

I chose to install cheap Chinese mirrors and levers because these parts are exposed to theft and probable damage. Both items were about 2/3 of the price of the eponymous ones and with hundreds of positive reviews, so not the dirt cheap, suspicious eBay stuff. They proved to be extremely well made, they still look and work perfectly and I don't have to worry about 300 euro bolt on items on my handlebar. I don't have rearsets fitted and I can't tell, but I only really need them on track so if you don't have any track days planned they are maybe overkill - it's up to you to decide of course!

Edit: The listings for both the mirrors and the levers have changed since I ordered them years ago, so I can't provide more detailed information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Better suspension will make a huge difference in handling, braking and overall safety. I saw more improvement in braking with my bike when I changed the fork springs in comparison to changing the brake lines. Every little helps of course! Here are some of my thoughts on the matter, it's not the
You are welcome :)

Fitting surprisingly cheap aftermarket items is obviously risky, so always prefer eponymous products. A cheap tank pad or mirror will not endanger you but an untested exhaust or a 30$ chain kit will .

I chose to install cheap Chinese mirrors and levers because these parts are exposed to theft and probable damage. Both items were about 2/3 of the price of the eponymous ones and with hundreds of positive reviews, so not the dirt cheap, suspicious eBay stuff. They proved to be extremely well made, they still look and work perfectly and I don't have to worry about 300 euro bolt on items on my handlebar. I don't have rearsets fitted and I can't tell, but I only really need them on track so if you don't have any track days planned they are maybe overkill - it's up to you to decide of course!

Edit: The listings for both the mirrors and the levers have changed since I ordered them years ago, so I can't provide more detailed information.
Thanks a tonne. All your advice is muchly appreciated

·
Registered
15 Posts
suspension like the engine is a dynamic thing it changes its characteristics with changes in rider weight, temperature from friction and the environment.
It needs regular servicing to keep it functioning correctly it also need to have the right weight oils and the correct springs to work in sympathy with the rider.

If your suspension hasn't been serviced in the last 10,000 miles there is a good chance your riding to overcome issues within the suspension you are not even really aware of because you have adapted to its lacking and if the bike has never been setup for you then you are definitely riding around a suspension issue.

More bike accidents are attributed to rider error when in reality, most cases the suspension that was not working correctly that caused the lose of control.
And then there are those who were just going to fast to stop in that instance.

Your suspension is critical to your comfort and fatigue levels, how the bike handles and how it stops.
The difference between a bike setup for you and what you are doing is night and day over one that is not.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CatalystReactionSBW
Everything you want to know about suspension and setting up your own, is on this youtube channel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
that my 2p worth
That's wrong, the 750 was always faster and torqueier in a straight line but always heavy and subpar in the bends throughout its model history. And making it a better handling bike required a lot of money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's wrong, the 750 was always faster and torqueier in a straight line but always heavy and subpar in the bends throughout its model history. And making it a better handling bike required a lot of money.
The Reason a bike would be Subpar in a bend is, Suspension not set correctly!
750 setup correctly will eat a 600/650 on the straight and easily stay a head in the bends
Getting your suspension to be correct for you is a case of getting the correct springs and oil weight.
Do this and a bikes handling can be transformed, inspire confidence and for road and track day use more than adequate.
If you want to go and blow Thousands on suspension go ahead but most sports bikes from late 90's till 2008 had suspension that had compression, rebound and preload settings which is highly tunable.
Unless you are riding at competition level this is more than enough.
If you only have standard hydraulic suspension with no adjustment again the right springs,a set of emulators and the correct oil and suspension is night and day better for two to three hundred pounds.

The options are out there and not for mega bucks

If your suspension hasn't been serviced then this will also cause your bike to ride an old donkey 10,000km 6000miles service limit for forks and shock.
If it not been setup for you it will ride like an old donkey.
if you've never had this done, how would you know the difference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Reason a bike would be Subpar in a bend is, Suspension not set correctly!
750 setup correctly will eat a 600/650 on the straight and easily stay a head in the bends
Getting your suspension to be correct for you is a case of getting the correct springs and oil weight.
Do this and a bikes handling can be transformed, inspire confidence and for road and track day use more than adequate.
If you want to go and blow Thousands on suspension go ahead but most sports bikes from late 90's till 2008 had suspension that had compression, rebound and preload settings which is highly tunable.
Unless you are riding at competition level this is more than enough.
If you only have standard hydraulic suspension with no adjustment again the right springs,a set of emulators and the correct oil and suspension is night and day better for two to three hundred pounds.

The options are out there and not for mega bucks

If your suspension hasn't been serviced then this will also cause your bike to ride an old donkey 10,000km 6000miles service limit for forks and shock.
If it not been setup for you it will ride like an old donkey.
if you've never had this done, how would you know the difference.
You clearly have no idea, keep copying and pasting five paragraph posts with the hope to appear knowledgeable while in reality you don't really say anything new or useful. And do some light reading on the Z750 and the motorcycle culture it spawned about 20 years ago cause you certainly never had this done and definitely don't know the difference.

Omg I didn't know I had to service my suspension! I mean seriously?! Just a bit of fresh fork oil and my Z750 will turn into a Gixxer 😂

1 - 14 of 14 Posts