Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I blow dried the gas sticker and the "Ninja" stickers off of my bike. I didn't like the look of the Kawasaki sticker on the tank either so I began to blow dry them off. However, I've only gotten 1/10th of the sticker off because it's damn hard. It also looks like it was kinda sunk in a little about a thousanth of an inch so when I realized that, it was too late. I had already taken some off and it would've looked stupid if I didn't take off the rest.

Any tips on taking these off???[:M7]

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, just realized that no one really takes those off. Man do I feel stupid. Looks like I'm gonna have to get a paint job or something. Oh, I feel even dumber because it's not really "body work" like fixing the fairing or anything. Damn... do I even belong on this board?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was guessing. I thought it was under a clear coat. What'll it cost to get it re-painted?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
$100? Depends on your area. Get it done before the other parts start to fade, or you'll end up with a two-toned bike.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Better yet, buy some painters tape, some clear coat, and do your best to fix it yourself.
BC.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks BC, but I'm not gonna try to fix a very expensive bike all on my own. If it was a 250 or 500 then I wouldn't even hesitate.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
dude try it first. you have to get it repainted either way, cuz if you dont dirt and crud will biuld up on that peeling sticker. get some blue painters tape, mask off the kawasaki sticker (use plastic around it also incase you get overspray. shake the clearcoat spray can good, and spray one LIGHT coat over and over again until its rich and glossy.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
no buffing. you can lightly wet sand before you paint if you want to. however that might scratch the sticker some more.

·
Registered
56 Posts
if you try to shoot some clear coat on there remember to go a little before the sticker and go lightly especially on the edges so it'll be feathered in, taping it off might give you a harsh line when you take the tape off, but as someone else said it can't hurt to try if you gotta get it repainted anyway. if it doesn't look good when you're done have the paint shop take the stickers off for you if you don't want them.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
if you dont tape it off, you will need to re-paint the whole tank. it will turn any part that doesnt have fresh clearcoat a flatcolor.

dont tape exactly around the tape, leave like a 1/8 inch gap around it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
if you follow the outside edge of the logo like 1/8 of an inch with tape then the harsh line you make will actually look decent because it'll give the logo a fake 3d look. yo ucan get rid of any hard line in the clear coat that you might make if you wet sand it after its completely dry, all you gotta do is get a fine sand paper wet the area down and sad lightly till its blended in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.