Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode my new race bike for the first time last weekend and I noticed the throw on the throttle is much longer than my Yamaha was. I know back when I raced Suzuki's years ago people would just toss a yamaha throttle tube in their stock throttle housing to shorten the throw. Anyone know if that works on these? Thanks.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
The cheap and easy way to do this on a Kawi is to glue or epoxy a piece of PVC pipe or a zip tie to the eccentric on the throttle tube, that's what I did with my bike.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The cheap and easy way to do this on a Kawi is to glue or epoxy a piece of PVC pipe or a zip tie to the eccentric on the throttle tube, that's what I did with my bike.
hey could you please explain this a little more in further detail as it sounds very interesting and I would like to try this!

thanks dude!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Reactions: jonnyfranx

·
Registered
143 Posts
Contact Rifleman on Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

He can fix you up with a modified throttle insert for $25 (including shipping)

Cheaper than Motion Pro's solution & more robust than the 'zip-tie' mod

·
Registered
143 Posts
he still doing that? i got a kit for my 6r from him like 5 years ago.
He sure is. He also gives a free one away from time to time, as a way of saying 'Thank You' to the biking community, which I gather has been very kind to him over the years.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Get the Motion Pro you are racing your bike, so you want as much adjustability as you can get.
Don't see the benefit of adjustability for the throttle throw.

All I need is the ability to get from fully closed to fully open in one movement (which is exactly what Rifleman's insert does), without having to over-rotate my wrist.

Reactions: hoser

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the rifleman's on my 10 and like it, the only thing is that, it's harder to turn and your hand gets cramped up. Going to try the motion pro on the 6.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've heard of the ziptie mod but haven't really done anything with it yet... I did the r6 throttle tube mod on my SV650 and loved it but I'm worried about how "on-off" it would make the ZX. I've already gone -1+2 gearing and it is a challenge to roll on the throttle out of a corner nice and smooth without it getting jerky.

Have any of you done the throttle tube mod and a gearing change?

I'm thinking it may be to much as 1st gear is already starting to become pretty worthless to me and I'd imagine that this mod would only make it worse...

Really starting to consider going back to stock gearing :(

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Been looking into the different options, Rifleman's topping the list. Compared to the How-To for the 10R, was there that much, more, or less cutting for the 6R? I can't be trusted with sharp objects, especially around expensive equipment.

·
Registered
59 Posts
on my zzr600 i miced the cam on the throttle tube and it was 34.?mm and i did a deal like the pvc mod and got it to 40mm. not a real improvement other than not having to regrab the grip when i pin it. think i have about 1.5 hours in doing mine. and FYI the 06-07 r6 has a 40mm throttle tube cam.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really don't want to put any zip ties or any crap like that in there-if something came loose while racing that would be really bad. I know about the motion pro ones and the one from yoyodyne but I just want a 1/5th turn instead of a 1/4 turn. I just wish I kept my spare throttle tube from my R6 now so I could toss it in! I really think I could just put one of those in there and it would work just fine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just did the zip tie throttle mod this morning and it appears to have been 100% successful! I used a 7mm wide zip tie (2mm thick) which fits perfectly edge to edge. Glued it down with super glue gel (the thicker non drip stuff) and then used another zip tie wrapped around to hold it in place till it fully bonded. I was thinking about doubling up the zip tie (one on top of the other...) but will ride around with this first for a while and see how it feels. Then if I want even less throttle twist I will do the pcv type method.
Here is a photo of what I did, sorry its poor quality and blurry. Taken with crap iPhone cam... only cam I have...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts