Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are the two questions I couldn't find answer to in beginners guides I've been looking at over the internet.

Mirror Position. How should I position my mirror? SHould I point it towards the bike so I get a view of traffic directly behind me or should I angle it further away so I can view traffic from my 4'O clock to 5'O clock position and 7'O clock to 8'O clock position?

Lane Changing. I figured by now and have been told by everyone that the bike goes where you look and this becomes somewhat of a problem when I perform a lane change. I noticed that when I turn my head left to check lanes the bike does drift left also. I've tried hard to correct this but it still happens a little. This problem is compounded at speed over 40 mph when the neck muscles are tightened to fight high wind speed during a head turn. So any pointers anyone has? I can't even begin to think about merging into a freeway until I get this taken care of.

·
Registered
750 Posts
This is from my experience, as far as mirror positioning goes, I find it good to have it positioned where you can see as much of your rear and as close to your blind spot. It's all about your viewing angle I suppose, fiddle around with it and set it somewhere you're comfortable (try your normal riding position). It might help to sit on your bike (when it's not moving) look behind you and pick out an object that you can see (something big usually helps) and set your mirror in comparison to that object.

As far as lane changing goes, I found it easier to battle the wind by dipping down a little bit so that your helmet can streamline your windscreen a little, and turning your head while is parallel to your back. And just keep practicing too, you'll get used to it eventually. The drifting thing shouldn't really be a problem, just relax and quickly check as fast and safely as possible, it might be because you're looking too long that your body starts to mimic your head movement. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Mirror position is personal preference but in general alot of riders will set up the mirrors so they see the edge of their elbow, while in the riding position, and the car that's to their left or right.

As far as drifting it'll take some time but you'll break the connection between looking and automatically going. Just remember to stay loose and keep the bars straight, the bike won't turn if the bars don't.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Position them so you can see more of what’s behind you. You will always need to head check, and it’s best to see if you’re about to get run over. For head checks do it very quickly. You never want to take your eyes off of what’s in front of you for long at all. In all, I’ve had two close calls with that. One on my bike, one in my car.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I put my right mirror to behind me and my left to the lane next to me to behind me. The head checks are a must and it does take a minute to break that habit of going where your head does

1 - 6 of 6 Posts