Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys wasup
I'm turning 18 next year in feb. and really eager to get a green ninja. I kinda need some advice since I'm a FOB (came to U.S 2years ago from korea) and don't really know anything about bikes. is 98 zx6r a good one to start out with? should I get my bike and license after this coming winter? damn... no clue how to get started.. I can get about $4000 by next feb. but is that enough for a 98 model? please give me some advice if possible~ [8)]

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
first step enroll in the MSF and see if bikes are for you. next take that money you saved and buy either a 250, 500, or 600. theres diffrent opinions on which bike is best to start. insuranrance, gear, and mods to your bike are last. you can get a GREAT bike for that price. do some research on zx6r model years cuz the 99 and down only have one headlight and they are ugly IMO[:eek:)]

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
99's and down are ugly?[:0] (*sniff*) I see how it is. All those times I posted pics of my old '96, you were thinking "somebody erase this goddamn ugly ass bike off here". That hurts Arturo. Hurts inside.

Seriously though, I have to disagree with him. Here's a pic of my old Ninja. It's a 1996.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You probably ain't gonna listen but I will give you the speach anyway. Would you get a Dodge Viper or Z06 Corvette for your first car? A '98 ZX-6R is quite a bit faster than either of these at the speeds you are likely to see around town. Not only that but a 600cc sportbike is a lot less forgiving than either of these two. You would be better off buying a 250 Ninja and riding it 'til you get a little experience and then move on to something else.

You can buy a good EX250 for $1,500 to $2,000 which means you can afford to pay cash (or bum the money from you parents) and only get liability insurance. The insurance is gonna be a killer at 18. In that 6 months or a year your attitude toward bikes will completly change.

The time to get a bike is when everyone else is trying to sell a bike, which is about now.When the first days of spring roll around the prices will jump dramatically.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
preach on swjohnsey! like i said, try the MSF and see if bikes is something you really want to get into. good luck!:D

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
tommy, im sorry but thats my personal opinion:(:D
but those sum of bitches will keep with mine no problem. just ask mred and mospeed when we went on a speed runs a few months back;)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
lol...You mean the time we hit 150 mph and I had blue flames shooting out of my pipe? [:p]

·
Registered
940 Posts
take the MSF course...no doubt

I had a great foundation of riding dirtbikes since I was pecker high to an 8 foot indian, but I use what I learned in that course every time I strap on my helmet

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
yeah, that time I chickened out and pulled off the throrrle. i missed a gear on that ride so i was scared it might explode underneathe me[:p]

·
Registered
54 Posts
$4000 is pleanty for a bike. I hate to be a fun hater but it might be wiser to start with something a little less expensive. Most of the time a new rider, ie myself, will end up dropping the bike at some point. I dropped mine only in the garage but still really pissed me off. If you currently don't know how to ride a bike check into something called Abate. You take a weekend class that teaches you the basics while at the sametime using their bikes. They can be found at http://www.abate-of-maryland.org/.
A 600cc would be fine but don't foget to respect the bike. Don't expect to get on the bike a be a natural, that will only get you hurt. Take it easy, whatever bike you get you'll gradually get more comfortable with it. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Besides an EX250, another good bike to consider is an EX500 or the 500R. Around here, there's not much price diff between the two

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yea, Go with something like a Ninja 500R. That is what I started out with and did not regret it. You can find good used 500's for like $1500-$2000. Learn on that, get used to it, go ahead and drop it....because it will happen, every one does it! Then use step on up to a 600, or even better, the 636.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.