Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, havent been on the forums much lately begin that I got a yzf 600 right now but I have a question someone might be able to help me with. I am building a custom turbo system for my bike, I have everything I need, just gotta get the head gasket thing down. I got 2 more factory head gaskets to go along with the one I have on now, the reason why I am going to put more head gaskets on is to try to lower my compression so the motor is more sutiable for a turbo stock is 12:1 and I'l like to get under 10:1 atleast. I really dont wanna have to drop my whole motor and stuff just to smack on some head gaskets so I was wondering if anyone knows a trick about getting the gasket on with out having to take the cams off and stuff like that to get around the timing chain. I am thinking that I could just get a chain breaker and take my timing chain apart at the master link and just unbolt the head and lift it up to get the gaskets on and set the head back down and relink the chain. Do you think this would work or would I have to kinda dis-assemble the motor. Thanx for any info you guys can provide me with and please if you dont know about turbos dont reply with retrded comments:D.

·
Registered
650 Posts
By the way this sounds, you really need to think about takeing your bike to a REAL mechanic that knows about turbo motors....you DO NOT want to break the timing chain...these are endless chains that can not be linked back together....also, to properly install the head gaskets on the YZF600 you need to take the engine out and take the head off properly to ensure proper installation....that way it won't leak and you will have many more problems...
If you'd like you can give me a call at the shop tomorrow for some help over the phone...
Ashley at Blais Cycle Inc. 305-654-8114
We do turbo motors all the time......mostly busas but I can help you with the YZF

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was figuring I couldnt go about doing this the easy way. I have exams tomm and the following dya I will be on a cruise ship :D, Is there a good date after the 22nd that I could call ya and talk to ya? Also what kinda head gaskets do you guys run and how much lower does your compression go, I heard that for every .025 of a thicker gasket it will lower it 1 static compression, like 12:1 will goto 11:1. The timing chain I was thinking of breaking because yamaha parts diagram says it has a master link in it. I really dont wanna mess with the valves and stuff but I have no choice. Keep in mind this is just a small project and I dont need to go all out on parts and such, like for instance I have like a $300 dollar budget lol, I bought a t25 turbo for $70 bucks, an intercooler for 450 bucks and I am having my headers made by my boss, he builds custom race cars from scratch and sh*t like that, I only really wanted to turbo this for the simmple reason of turbo'ing something, I dont really wanna run to much boost also but if I get the hang of a nicely boosted bike I will probably wanna turn the boost controler up [:p] . Thanx again and I hope to hear from ya

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You will need to be able to clean the head and block to get a good seal. You are not going to be able to do this w/o removing the engine. The best way to drop compression is to use dished pistons. You can also get a machine shop to make you a spacer to go between head and block and use a gasket for each. You can keep the compression the same and use a turbo but you don't need to use alot of boost. Also, a turbo will put more stress on the bottom-end of the engine. This means if you want the engine to last you need to use better bearings, rods, etc. There is some thinking involved when it comes to installing a turbo. You will have to create your own exhaust. You will want to make sure every cylinder is getting the same amount of air. You will create more heat so you will have to shield vital parts such as hoses and wires. Will turn out to be very time consuming if you don't have quick access to the proper tools or know how to use them. I am sure it takes Ash's shop a fair amount of time to do one. Especially if it is a bike they have never done one on. I would leave it to the pros or at least someone who has some experience.
Almost forgot: If I was going to put more air in and out of the engine, I would also use larger valves. A cam change would help you maximize the hp also. You will need more duration and a higher lift especially on the exhaust side. The more air you can get out of the exhaust the earlier your max boost will come in. It takes exhaust to turn that turbo. You will also want to install a larger oil cooler b/c that oil will now be passing through that hotass turbo. And, if I was going to attempt putting a turbo on for $300 I would expect it to take a really long time to find all of my parts that cheap.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well all I need is $120 to finish off everything and I'll have all the parts, I really dont care if I fuc/< this motor up just means rebuild time with stronger inturnals! I was thinking of having my whole motor cryo-coated to strengthen the inturnals (if anyone knows about cryo-coating you know that shit works), sheilding some of the important stuff really isnt a big deal and I checked on how much a custom gasket was and for a copper one it was like $125 for an engineering fee and then like $175 for the gasket its self - no thanx I'd rather smack a few gaskets on there and do it that way, hell to get a good seal I'd JB weld the son of a bitach on there lol. I really dont think anyone has spent their time making high perf valves for a 96 yzf or a high perf cam, as for the exhaust a nice straight pipe outside the right fairing will do for me a 3" pipe with a 1.25" pipe just for the wastegate :D. Turbos arent as complicated as alot of people think, as for running higher boost you can go up a few lbs if you have a water injection system (which I have available to me :D ) I dont really need this to be a R1 catcher or anything special but if someone sees that you have a turbo its pretty cool, I know of a guy with a turbo R1 and you dont even care how it perfroms, I love turbos for some reason, they seem sexy to me hehehe:D but to eaches own!;) I will have pics of my set-up being built online in the near future, probably after the holidays as well as dyno and 1/4 tests. Thanx again for all input and info you guys have gave me.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Well, now I see what you are building. You ever thought about getting on Junkyard Wars. You would be perfect. Grab parts that don't really match up, weld them in place, and hope it lasts for the 3 minutes needed to win or say you did it. That is how the show goes anyway. You would be a shoe-in.
At least you will get some experience out of it. I do stuff just for shits and giggles sometimes. That is how I ended up w/ my last car. 77 Datsun 280z w/ full fiberglass kit and a 355 chevy w/ almost 400hp. Damn, I miss that thing. But, at least mine lasted me 3 years and then I sold it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Bladecutter you don't have to worry about his engine blowing at 120 mph it would have to run to get to 120. LOL The only way to realistically drop the compression is to replace the pistons not by stacking up gaskets. I have never known of anyone busting apart a cam chain (its not a bicycle chain) to remove the head, if you have enough knowledge to build a turbo bike removing the head should be a no brainier. Lets say hypothetically you had your exhaust, turbo, wastegate, intercooler(s) and all installed you still would be no where near finished your forgetting you need to get oil to it, make a intake, increase fuel volume etc. not to mention tuning. I'm not trying to insult or tell you it can't be done, I think you need to educate yourself allot before attempting to install a turbo on a bike from scratch and save yourself some humiliation.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Wow, all these suggestions sound so familiar(I've already tried to tell him most of this)!! Don't bother guys, this guy thinks he knows everything (he puts 850HP turbo Supras together, its the same thing isn't it?)....

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I don't want him to go anywhere Bladecutter. I think he should stick around and let us know how it goes, I mean doesn't go.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
What you so happy about Ash? You are always smiling. Oh yeah, you get to look at bikes all day and ride anytime you want b/c you are in Florida. Almost forgot.

·
Registered
345 Posts
well it may have happened before and i just did not see it. i have seen you take some shit from people and be very nice about it. it is good to see you vent. i definitely don't want get on that side of you, you so mean.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Way to go Ash! [:M120] And here comes the lock patrol...:D

·
Registered
940 Posts
wow...I missed all this fun today???

dude broke out a mom joke.....hahahahhaha

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Done.

If you can't play nice, go here.

I was kind enough to remove all the "fuck you" posts for those that are wondering why.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.