Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought oil and filter to change on my bike be4 winter storage so i could save some cash and i noticed on the filter it says i have to tighten it to a certain torque. Would it be ok to just hand tighten it or if not what tool do i need to tighten it?? Also in my manual it says the same thing for the oil pan bolt. Hand tighten or tool?? Dun wanna mess it up

[:M57]thanks

·
Registered
605 Posts
Tighten to 23 ft. lbs. Hand tight will not seal the filter to the oil cooler effectively.

The filter wrench you need should be 65mm. And of course, you need a torque wrench.

Be sure to apply a light coating of oil to the o-ring gasket.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by jlamb30
Tighten to 23 ft. lbs. Hand tight will not seal the filter to the oil cooler effectively.

The filter wrench you need should be 65mm. And of course, you need a torque wrench.

Be sure to apply a light coating of oil to the o-ring gasket.

Wrong. Hand tight WILL be tight enough for the oil filter. I weigh 160 lbs. and I tighten ALL of my oil filters by hand, and have never had one leak. As far as the oil pan bolts, those should be tightened to specified torque.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Everyone is right.

The Kawasaki service manual calls for a torque wrench, but you can safely only hand-tighten the filter on your bike. Do what you like.

You want to torque the drain plug to 22 ft·lb. If you only hand-tighten that, you will have a bit of a moment.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The manual publishes that info because they have to. You have to remember, there are alot of....not so intelligent people in the world. That's why you see all those "common sense" warnings on products.:D So technically, everyone's right here[:p]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just had my wrist calibrated![:p] Hand tight on the oil filter and I snug the drain plug. That is how I do my bikes and cars. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Originally posted by dtmsurf
Also watch for over tightening the drain plug, I think another member stripped his out recently. OUCH!
There have been posts on here about cracking the oil pan, also.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The drain plug I agree with torquing. I freakin broke (not one) two heads off on two different KX250's I had because I was in a hurry. That totally sucked!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.