Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about getting some gel grips for my bike (650R). I have pretty big hands, so I don't want anything skinnier than what I have now, which is what I've heard about some of the grips that I've looked at. Anyone know of any?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I've found that grips are something you don't want to order without trying first. Everyone's hands are so different and what seems skinny to you may feel huge to someone else. I had a nice pair of open-cell foam grips a few years back that looked pretty thick but would mold themselves to your grip. They were the most comfortable I've ever had, but would fatigue your hands a bit on long day trips. Now if I could just find another pair...
I'd go to the largest dealership in my area and try a bunch of different brands and styles before buying a pair.

·
Registered
493 Posts
PROGRIP 719 or 724 Gel Grips

AWESOME!!!!!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
PROGRIP 719 or 724 Gel Grips

AWESOME!!!!!
I can't vouch personally as I don't have them, but I've heard good things about them. The only thing is IIRC they come closed off, so you need to cut it, and if it isn't cut right it may rub, causing the throttle to stick. I'm not sure how common of an issue, that's just what I heard.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
driven grips are prob the best out there, they reduce vibration & look good ;) & they're only $18 bucks shipped from motomummy.com ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've tried Renthal mediums, Driven, and Progrip 780. I like the Driven grips a lot, but the 780's are my favorite thus far. They're about the same thickness as the Driven, just as grippy, but you can get them for half the price.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
+1 to ProGrip....any of them. Cheap and good quality. I personally like the 719 or 780...but the 780 is not going to have girth if thats what you are lookng for.

I've had Harris....and not as comfy as the ProGrip Gels....and twice the price or more.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I learned the hard way, i ordered a set of Rizoma grips and bar ends, cost me $150 bucks, they looked amazing the finish was perfect. but comfort was lacking big time, the bar ends were very very light and did nothing for the vibration and i just couldent get a comfortable riding grip no matter what i tried so i sold them on ebay and then bought progrip 724's gel grips for 15 bucks at my local dealer and i love them much softer then stock and the look is close to stock

·
Registered
7 Posts
Driven +1
Had a set on my 650R when I had it, the comfort was 200% better than stock.
Got them free when I ordered a set of Pazzo's from motomummy, loved the Pazzo's but liked the drivens even more!

·
Registered
493 Posts
The ProGrips do have closed ends but they have the cut line to open them up, I just used an exacto knife to cut the round hole out. Don't forget to use grip glue so that they don't move while riding.

You can get ProGrips gel grips at most of your local dealers and just about everywhere online. www.newenough.com has a few different ones in their parts section. I have the 724's but think the 719's are thicker and have a bit more gel to them.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I Agree on the Driven grips. They are the best I'ved used yet. The only issue i have with them is they wear pretty fast, but hell they only 8 bucks. I just replace them when I need to.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
NOt gel grips, but I like the foam grips I have on my Versys. They slide over the stock grips. Real comfy.

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
My grips are tacky i like them , they came on the bike zx11c 93 your hand kinde stick to the grip . Would like to find how made them . Dan

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just ordered the 724's, along with a windscreen and a couple other things.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Sounds like what I've been looking for. Could you provide details please?
Actually not sure exactly who makes them or what they are called. The head tech at my dealer put them on when I noted that the stock grips are too thin. I was going to go with some kind of gel grip when he recommended these. I need to call him tomorrow anyways, I can get that information tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts