Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike's been doing this for a couple years now. On 40+min rides the temperature tents to rise more than normal but doesn't get hotter than 225ish. Even on the highway riding in 60 degree weather it loses its ability to remain as cool as it should be under those condition. So after it starts warming up it'll start to buck and slowly the max rpm's it'll rev to will drop. I'll open the gas tank to make sure there's no suction issue and it still does it. So I have to let it sit for about 30 mins then it'll be ok to ride again but I still have to be careful to stay moving. The other day I got stuck in traffic within the first 10 of my ride and it held up just fine. Then at about 40 mins of riding while going through downtown Seattle is when it started acting up.

I have a gutted cat, slip on, fresh coolant, fresh oil, K&N.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It'll stay at around 200 while moving. I just flushed the coolant. I've been trying to see there's any sort of pattern to it but all I've been able to come up with is what I described above. Bad ECU you think?

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Seems a little hot to me.

My bike while riding home doing 60 - 70 MPH will get up to 190-195 oF, but the ambient temperature is: 100+ oF

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess I'll start looking around for ECU's. Throwing on a PCIII wouldn't fix it if it was the ECU right?

·
Powerhungry
38,256 Posts
Guess I'll start looking around for ECU's. Throwing on a PCIII wouldn't fix it if it was the ECU right?
nope.
its a fairly common problem for that bike. its been rumored that the undertail exhaust overheats the ecu. maybe causes solder joints to come loose? i dont know if anyone has ever taken one apart to check...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah... Solder joints in the ECU itself right? It would make sense I guess. Oh yea.. I have over 22K miles. Not sure if that would matter.

·
Powerhungry
38,256 Posts
Ah... Solder joints in the ECU itself right? It would make sense I guess. Oh yea.. I have over 22K miles. Not sure if that would matter.
yep. something. not sure. like i said, never heard of anyone tearing into one.

and yeh, thats about where mine start screwing up too i think. somewhere around there.

·
Registered
402 Posts
with gutted cat and a slip on you would have more air flow and it would run leaner and hotter, pc3 would sort that out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts