Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a problem w/ my front end on my 05 636 since about 600 miles. I've noticed a chatter in the front end. I took it to the dealer and left it for 2 weeks they pulled the front end and put it back together said well they don't see anything and that they torqued the steering head down tighter than factory specs per kawisaki. this caused the bike to steer very funny ( turning left it wants to flop into the turn and on a right turn it doesn't want to turn). The chatter is still there. I relate the sound to a music instrument in a junior high band the hollow wood block that you hit with a stick just a hollow rattle. I've had some people say that it maybe steering head bearings etc. You can sit on the bike pull up the handle bars and hear & feel it pop. I'm tired of having people guess. It now also has a weird feel in the pegs when u say pull in the clutch and are rolling to a stop ( its very distinct from say 30 or 40) kinda of like click and then rolls for a second then click but u can feel it in the pegs I know it has something to do with the chain. But I was told "Oh thats probably just chain noise" well my opinion is it did not do it when I bought it so why not look @ it and fix the problem. if its not covered tell me so I can buy a new one. I've asked more than 5 occasions for help setting the suspension up and each time there is a reason they can't. my bike has handled like crap since I took it in for the 600 mile service. i weigh 230lbs.. I took it in for the last service and I noticed my coolant level was just below the low line and I informed them of this and when I picked the bike back up I fortunatley left my switch turned to on and my battery died that evening and when I jumped it off I noticed nothing had been added. ANY SUGGESTIONS on the issues I have stated above would help tremendously. I purchased it in February 05 it now has 8000 mi on it and has a two yr extended warranty. I do not walk it or do stoppies.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have that same woodblock noise in my front as well, not too sure on what it is. Thought i was hearing things in my head. Whish I could help but I'm trying to figure it out myself.[:M74]

·
Registered
702 Posts
You can sit on the bike pull up the handle bars and hear & feel it pop.
Will it do this for the dealer? It sounds like the bearings to me.

It now also has a weird feel in the pegs when u say pull in the clutch and are rolling to a stop
Not sure about that one. You really just need to take your bike to a different dealership. I had a problem with a bike once that my dealership couldn't fix after about four tries. I took it to a different place and they diagnosed/fixed it right away.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
if it steers slow on one side and quicker on the other, chances are the forks are misaligned, or something similar. even a mm or two will make a difference

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it did do it for the dealer. And I have informed my dealership about the same steering issues and they said well its because we had to tighten ur sterring head down tighter than factory specs so its gonna feel like its gotta small steering dampner. I said what a steering dampner only puts pressure in one direction come on. I have said since they took the bike apart that it feels like my left arm is a tad bit further forward than my right. is there a way I can align it up myself so I don't have to rely on the people who obviously don't know what they are doing.

·
Registered
601 Posts
if they torqed down the stem nut to TRY and fix your problum then they know you have issuses with the bearings/steering head and tried to cover it up.
there is no reason to torq the stem nut down past fac. spec. it will couse the baerings to wear faster. so i would say take it to a different dealer and let them have a go at it.
if you sit on it and turn the bars back and forth is it smooth?
also richnlucke has a good point.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
My friends '05 has that steering head problem as well. Every time you hit the breaks you can feel and hear the play in the tube. Took it to the dealer once and they didn't fix it. Could cause ovalization of the steering tube if it's not fixed in time?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Originally posted by dtaylor
I took it to the dealer and left it for 2 weeks they pulled the front end and put it back together said well they don't see anything and that they torqued the steering head down tighter than factory specs per kawisaki. this caused the bike to steer very funny ( turning left it wants to flop into the turn and on a right turn it doesn't want to turn).
Someone else needs to look at your ENTIRE front end.

Your bearings may be adjusted TOO tight. The classic symptom of this is a low-amplitude, low-frequency wandering in the steering or oversteer when turning in.

Try putting the front wheel against a curb and bounce up and down on the front end. If you hear clicking, you've got too much play in your steering head bearings.

Because you say that you hear the clicking when you pull up on the bars, it could be something loose -- check every fastener on the entire front end (also check that both sides are even at the triple tree). Also, if you can get the front end of the bike off the ground, try pulling the forks forwards and backwards -- one of the bushings may have gone bad internally.

As for the chain -- have you recently checked your chain tension? A loose chain can make all sorts of weird noises.

As for setting up your suspension, the best place is usually at a race shop or GMD Computrack shop. Most dealerships have no clue where to even begin with suspension. Personally, the only thing I know how to set up is sag. :D Since sag is the most important setting, it usually gets me into the correct ballpark. If you weigh 230lbs., you're going to have to crank in a ton of preload front and rear. Take a look at the suspension tuning section in Sport Rider's website. I think the url is www.sportrider.com.

Good luck!

·
Registered
879 Posts
I don't think the stock rear spring, or for that matter the front fork springs are sprung for a 230 lb rider. I think anything over 200 Lbs and they are way to soft even with full preload dialed it.

You should consult a good race shop to help dial in the suspension and possibly recommend stiffer springs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thanks for all the advice so far. It makes the noise w/o the breaks even being applied and its coming from around the top. It would be nice if we had a race shop or someone around here knew what they were doing would open up such a shop. This is a wide open market. I will be takeing it to Troy AL and letting their guys take a look @ it hopefully they can help.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i have the same problem.. took it to the dealer.. and they said nothing wrong and they could not get it to make the noise.. i'll take it back again once the weather clears up

techna

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I got a nasty knocking noise coming from the front just after a service. No idea what it was, didn't want to ride it like that. I took it back, and they spent a day trying to figure out what this bang/knock was.

Turns out one of the engine mounts had worked loose slightly, but the noise sounded like it was coming from elsewhere.

Don't know how much it helps, but for what it's worth, think outside the box a little too

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Mine does that as well. Its in the forks.

Ive seen no adverse effects from it, and it seems to go away when the fork fluid heats up a bit.

It is annoying though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.