Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got two sets of neon lights i'd like to hook up to my 02 zx6r. But as far as wiring goes, i'm a complete dumbass. Don't even know where to start.

I'd like to have them hooked up to some kind of switch so i can turn them off and on. Anyone help?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I could help you do it if you came to my house, but you don't live near me. Wiring stuff up is easier than you may think, but I'm not sure if I can explain it to you. I'd rather help someone do it in person than try to half-ass explain it and have them blow the battery up in their face. I've hooked up neon lights to cars before, but not bikes, so I don't want to tell you to disconnect the battery or anything and then have your bike not run right. Sorry man.

-keep the rubber side down.[}:)]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've managed to figure out how to hook the neon lights up on my own, but it's a bad set-up.

I didn't know where to find power for a switch and for the lights, so i simply unplugged the horn and used it's wire and ground. Now my neon lights are only on while i'm holding down my horn button, which kinda sucks cause i usually have to let go to use the blinkers and shift.

Gotta be a better way right? Where else can i get power for the neon lights?

·
Registered
303 Posts
you should undo all that with the horn and hook the horn back up... run a new lead from the battery for your lights and you can even mount your own switch somewhere on the bike... its very simple..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what you're saying is that i should buy some connectors and attach them directly to my battery leads. Sounds a lot more simple than what i did with the horn, but like i said, i'm a dumbass when it comes to electrical systems.

I don't even know what kind of connectors to get. Guess i can ask the radio shack guy.

·
Registered
303 Posts
just get something that will make a good connection to the battery terminal.. if it has a good connection you'll be fine...

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
You had the right idea with the horn, but used a bad accessory. Try this. Do exactly what you did with the horn, but try using a fuse for power, like the headlight fuse. Then find someplace to ground it. Then go to the hardware store and buy a very small switch that will go in between the power and ground, and your neon light. Basically, without the switch to interrupt the current, your neon will be on constantly because your headlight is on constantly, right? Then mount the switch wherever you want. All a switch does, after all, is interrupt a constant flow of power.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
By the way, I wouldn't mess with battery unless you absolutely have to. Just pull out your headlight fuse, wrap the power wire around it, and put it back in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys. [^]

I was getting a little frustrated with this neon lighting thing. Not to mention the neon lights i paid $100+ are disappointingly dim.

I'm gonna try the fuse hook-up method. Sounds a little more safe than the battery one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.