Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive read up about shimming your needle on here and had a look at mine and saw there is a small washer ABOVE the e clip and plastic spacer. what is wrong with simply placing this washer UNDERNEATH the e clip - ie in between clip and spacer.
this would have the same effect as placing a washwer there anyway would it not?
i have the euro needles and simply raised the needle a notch ie moving the clip down the needle but on reassembly it runs like a pig as if the choke is on and its running on 2 cylinders. a quick carb sync today and if no better its going back to 3rd notch down as i found it.
just wanted to know if the washer move would work
thanks.
al

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
ive read up about shimming your needle on here and had a look at mine and saw there is a small washer ABOVE the e clip and plastic spacer. what is wrong with simply placing this washer UNDERNEATH the e clip - ie in between clip and spacer.
this would have the same effect as placing a washwer there anyway would it not?
i have the euro needles and simply raised the needle a notch ie moving the clip down the needle but on reassembly it runs like a pig as if the choke is on and its running on 2 cylinders. a quick carb sync today and if no better its going back to 3rd notch down as i found it.
just wanted to know if the washer move would work
thanks.
al
hm, ive only heard of shimming the needle on the 250's.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
loads of topics on here about it.
anyway just synched my carbs piece of piss with 4 guages and little valves to smooth the pulses out.
what a difference. i didnt think that they could go out so much 0 but i did remove the long rod that holds the carbs together that also holds the throttle cable mount. if this was left alone i reckon the previous synch may have survived.
anyway it sounded like a pig and e ven with the airbox removed it sounds a million times better. smooth and running on all four. now to ride and find out on the street if raising one notch is too much.
still awaiting a reply on simple relocation of washer = same as shimming.
any offers?
edit
just went for a test ride. its now crazy. its as if i have the same power from 8k rpm to redline as opposed to just from 10k. ie widening the main power 'band'
my pal has a gsxr 600 and before the mod mine was just a bit faster on accell than his consistently between 60 and 150mph. we're gonna go for a ride in an hour and see if there is any difference. i cant believe that raising it a full notch - 1.5 mm hasnt made it too rich after reading that a 20 thou shim is what is normally used.
maybe the fact i have a full akrapovic race exhaust 4-2-1 fitted is affecting things.
standard box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts