Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so this afternoon at work, a guy comes in and tells me that he did not winterize his bike in the fall. He wanted me to tell him if it really mattered one way or the other, and, if it does matter, what effect not winterizing the bike could have before he starts it up for the first time this year. I really didn't know what to tell him because most people winterize their bikes around here just to be safe incase something could go wrong. I just want to see what some of you folks have to say. Do you really think it is cause for worry by not putting 'Stabil' in the tank and not performing other winterizing procedures?

I have also had a few guys come into the dealership telling me that their engine broke down on the first start up of the season. I find this concerning because it wasn't just an isolated person who experienced this problem. Is anyone else familiar with this occurrence? What do you think it could be? I am pretty sure that it was caused by the cold temperatures, but I can't put a diagnosis on it.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Well the main problem with not winterizing the bike is the fuel goes bad, so the stuff in the tank could be useless, and worse, the carbs get all gummed up with crud.

If he was smart enough to run the bike once a week, the carbs should be OK, but I'd lose the tank of gas..

As for breaking down, I haven't heard of it happening to any of my buddies, but thats the extent of my knowledge :)

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
468 Posts
I didn't winterize my bike, but I also kept it in the house... started right up. Obviously if left sit in cold ambient conditions have a harsher effect on fluids.

Go green or go home...

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i just drain the carbs and sit it in my garage....

no problems here....

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
298 Posts
My 6R has been stored for the winter, there were a couple nice days though that I got it out, started right up everytime and I never had any problems. I don't think you would have any problems whatsoever as long as you occasionally run it.

Life is short, but sweet for certain...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.