Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 18 turning 19 soon and have decided that I really want to get into motorcycles. I've never ridden any type of powered bike and don't really know how to get started. I've done some research and many people claim that the ninja 300 is a great starter bike and I am interested in getting one, but scared about starting. Anyone have some tips for me to get started and if this bike is good?
Thanks,
Luke

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Hi, welcome and happy New Year!

First of all, be sure that you have enough money for protective gear before you even think of buying a motorcycle. You will need, at the very least, a good quality helmet, jacket, gloves, riding pants or jeans and motorcycle boots or shoes, all with as much protective parts possible. You can spend a bit more and get four seasons gear or you will have to buy summer or intermediate gear later, depending on where you live.

Then, you should attend a riding school in order to be correctly introduced and trained. They will provide you with the necessary gear too. The harder way is to gather information, books, videos, anything published by officialy qualified sources, study hard, and then try to practice the basics in a big empty space and the more technical stuff during track days. That's what I did many years ago despite riding motorcycles from the tender age of 13.

It would be a good idea to do all the above on a cheap, used motorcycle but anyway the Ninja 300 is an excellent choice for any beginner. Fear will go away when you get accustomed to the physics of riding but you should always ride responsibly and without overestimating your skill and abilities.

Hope to see you riding soon, it's wonderful world but you must always protect yourself :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! I will definitely get good gear. I’m very anxious so I will do everything to make sure I am as protected as possible. Never thought to get some books on riding though. Will definitely check some out and hopefully will be on a bike in the near future!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Keep in mind that a "starter bike" will vary somewhat. But, in general, you're looking at an inexpensive bike, one where it requires a decent amount of twisting to get much acceleration and is light enough that you're not going to have much trouble maneuvering it at slow speeds or picking it up if need be.

300cc is plenty for most people, especially a fuel injected 300cc. I'd sit on one and see if you're feeling at all cramped as that's the other issue people sometimes have on smaller bikes. I generally ride a 250r and I usually don't have any trouble keeping up with my buddies on their bikes. A bit of trouble at times when we get on the freeway, but a good rider on one of those smaller bikes shouldn't have much trouble keeping up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts